[SOLVED] My PC is Dead to the World :(

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey,

Last night I had an issue with one of my GPU fans not spinning properly, I took the GPU out to clean it, and now my PC seems completely dead. Although, the RGB lights and fans have come on randomly at times. But mainly, I'm getting no power and no response.

Steps I have tried:

• Minimal boot with major components unplugged. (No GPU etc)
  • Using only 1, 2 or no RAM sticks.
  • Unplugging a lot of fans etc to check for shorting.
Sadly I had to go to work, so I have tested the PSU yet, but I'm going to jump start test it in the morning.

The weirdest thing though is I'd given up trying with it for a time cos it was showing no signs of life, and the RGB's and fans just came on randomly while I was watching TV and not touching it. It would not boot though.

Although, after turning my PC off for period, it's back to nothing again.

The only light I get is if I remove the power cord for my CPU from my PSU, then I get the warning light from my CPU.

Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution
Not crashing is a good sign.

As for the temps I'd say the way is to check for same card, in similar setup, same game, with same/similar graphics settings such as resolution and eye candy (high-to-ultra graphics settings) and see if they generally run cooler or hotter (real life scenarios of ordinary users).

What is the genral air flow/ventilation like in the case? That's a 250W GPU running in a box with a 100W? CPU. Although ROG Strix cards tend to have good cooling (passive and active) air flow affects the general temps in the case to some extent.

If this is the same as your card here are some temps with 2 types of BIOS for the card:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-strix-oc/37.html
Also has...

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey,

Last night I had an issue with one of my GPU fans not spinning properly, I took the GPU out to clean it, and now my PC seems completely dead. Although, the RGB lights and fans have come on randomly at times. But mainly, I'm getting no power and no response.

Steps I have tried:

• Minimal boot with major components unplugged. (No GPU etc)
  • Using only 1, 2 or no RAM sticks.
  • Unplugging a lot of fans etc to check for shorting.
Sadly I had to go to work, so I have tested the PSU yet, but I'm going to jump start test it in the morning.

The weirdest thing though is I'd given up trying with it for a time cos it was showing no signs of life, and the RGB's and fans just came on randomly while I was watching TV and not touching it. It would not boot though.

Although, after turning my PC off for period, it's back to nothing again.

The only light I get is if I remove the power cord for my CPU from my PSU, then I get the warning light from my CPU.

Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.
One of the thoughts I have had is obviously damage being done on removing the GPU to clean it, and also potential heat damage to motherboard if one of the fans had been failing with my GPU on.

I know the Witcher 3 was crashing before this, and the hotspot on my GPU was over 90c.

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Wha speccs (model and age for each component)? Any changes in HW or software prior to this issue? Does it have a history of issues prior to this? Built it yourself?
It's a fairly new setup, bought around 1.5 to 2 years ago. Built it myself.

ASUS ROG Strix x570-F Gaming MOBO.
AMD Ryzen 3800X
RTX 2080ti ASUS ROG STRIX
32GB Corsair DDR4
Corsair MP600 PCIE SSD
Seasonic 1000w PSU

The PSU is even newer than the other HW as my old one went bust about a year ago.

Only issue has been the fact my games were crashing in the hours leasing up to it, and it seemed one of my GPU fans was not working properly. I removed my GPU to clean it just incase fans were obstructed after this.

No major, out of the ordinary software changes.

Apart from that, it has been working fine.

Last edited:

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Well, my PSU passed the paperclip jump start test, seems to be working.

The interesting thing was, when I then plugged my 24 pin connector back into my PC, the RGB lights flashed on and off sporadically before everything went dead again. So I'm thinking shorting, faulty connector, or faulty/damaged mobo now.

Do you happens to have another GPU lying around so you can test ?

It's kind of a weird situation you have, when one of the GPU fans seemingly have an issue with speed. Do you remember from that situation:
  • Did the fan made more noise than normal?
  • Any distinctive smell afterwards ?
  • How did the computer react otherwise (if this happened in use, did it crash, bsod, or just hang ? )

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

It's kind of a weird situation you have, when one of the GPU fans seemingly have an issue with speed. Do you remember from that situation:
  • How did the computer react otherwise (if this happened in use, did it crash, bsod, or just hang ? )
I noticed a lind of revving sound, like it was powering up and down, or losing and gaining speed.

Not any smell.

Only problem I seemed to have was games hard crashing as soon as I loaded in. As soon as things needed to be rendered.

I noticed increased temperatures while mining too, usually 50 to 70, but this was 60 to low 80s. That's with a downclock for mining.

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

I could ask a friend for a gpu to test, don't have one myself on hand though.

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
My GPUs temperature is still 94C at max in its hotspot, whereas the GPU is around 75 at max load with the Witcher 3. Is this normal, after only a short period of gaming? Its an ASUS Strix RTX 2080ti. It's not crashing anymore after I did a driver update, but im afraid it might do damage over time if too hot. At least my PC is running now though, the new MOBO saved it. I'm just wondering if my GPU did in fact kill my last one...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

As for the temps I'd say the way is to check for same card, in similar setup, same game, with same/similar graphics settings such as resolution and eye candy (high-to-ultra graphics settings) and see if they generally run cooler or hotter (real life scenarios of ordinary users).

What is the genral air flow/ventilation like in the case? That's a 250W GPU running in a box with a 100W? CPU. Although ROG Strix cards tend to have good cooling (passive and active) air flow affects the general temps in the case to some extent.

If this is the same as your card here are some temps with 2 types of BIOS for the card:
Also has benchmarks and FPS for the Witcher 3 with the card at different resolutions.

Solution

PcGamingRig

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Also has benchmarks and FPS for the Witcher 3 with the card at different resolutions.
It's definitely the fan, is there any way I can upload a video here. But yeah, it's running full speed one moment and then vibrating and reducing to little of nothing the next.

I've never noted temperatures like these on my case before.

Anyway, I've contacted ASUS about an RMA repair for the time being as it is in warranty until September. I'm still convinced the heat is what killed my previous MOBO as well.