Question My PC is going nuts at completely random intervals ?

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022
So, I have built my pc myself, and it has been working flawlessly for the past 5 years until 6 months ago.

I started having issues, and I can't find a cause whatsoever. I'm posting here to look for some advice in troubleshooting this problem and finally end my suffering.

My pc starts randomly going nuts. Most of the times the problem is keys being pressed down and held down with no way of unsticking them. Most of the time this happens when I'm playing a game. Keys like windows, alt, 2 shift and w get pressed down and my pc starts going nuts. Like 100 chrome tabs with ms office getting opened up and my pc scrolling through the shut down options when I try to restart my computer. When this happened, I checked via a keyboard testing website, but it didn't see any keys being pressed and even saw when I pressed the same keys while they were pressed "down". I tried reinstalling windows through cloud, but it didn't help. I also tried unplugging my keyboard and plugging it back in, which didn't help.

Another reoccurring problem is my pc just switches off randomly and goes to sleep mode or completely powers off.

What's really throwing me off, is the fact that I can't seem to find the cause for this. Sometimes like 3-4h can pass with me playing games and everything being fine. Then it suddenly starts happening. Sometimes it only takes 4-5 rounds of the first match after turning my pc on and it starts happening. It stretches over many different games, so it can't be an issue with the game itself.

So, first I deduced that it might be a keyboard problem. Switched it, reinstalled drivers by deleting and restarting pc. Then I switched my ram. Then I REBUILT my entire pc. At this point only original part that remains from my old pc is the ssd, hdds and peripherals. I tried doing my normal activity with only my keyboard and mice plugged in. Nothing seems to help. Only way to somehow fix this I found, is restarting pc when this happens. What's the sad part about this, is that I can't seem to find anyone having similar trouble, I'm really at a loss here. How do I troubleshoot this?

Full specs of my old PC
Msi trio rtx 2080
Intel I9-9900k
Msi z390 tomohawk
2x16gb 4000mhz ripjaws DDR4
Corsair 750W PSU
Arctic freezer II 360mm
A few Kingston 2tb hard drives
Samsung 980 evo 1tb ssd (main C drive)

Full specs of my new PC
gigabyte rtx 4070 ti super
Amd 7 7800X3D
b650 Aorus elite ax ICE
2x16GB DDR5 T-create Expert 7200Mhz
Gigabyte 750W modular psu
lian li galahad ii trinity
A few Kingston 2tb hard drives
Samsung 980 evo 1tb ssd (main C drive)

Tell me if I need to provide any further details. Thanks in advance

Here's a post which I made here a while ago already having this issue and troubleshooting. Only thing that has changed since, is that I rebuilt my pc. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-pc-has-started-going-nuts-what-could-this-be.3846775/

Ralston18

Titan
Try to learn more about what is happening.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warninings, or even informational events that are being logged just before or at the times problems occur.

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warninings, or even informational events that are being logged just before or at the times problems occur.
I haven't used my pc for 7 days, so the next time it happens I will pin point the time it happened. For now I couldn't find anything particularly suspicious. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll report in if anything shows at that time stamp or a little before.

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022
Hey there,

Are the bios' up to date on each system?

Which exact PSU's? Make and model.
current: Gigabyte UD750GM
old: Corsair rm 750X

I really doubt it's the bios, because I've had used the same bios with the exact arrangement of parts mentioned for 1.5 years before it started happening. I don't remember if I flashed the bios when I bought my new pc, but I can check

reoccurring problem is my pc just switches off randomly and goes to sleep mode or completely powers off
i don't see any mention of temperatures.
what are your average idle & max load(stressing/gaming) temps for both CPU & GPU?

I tried reinstalling windows through cloud, but it didn't help
when reinstalling make sure to use a new Media Creation Tool and manually reinstall:

after the reinstall;
install your regularly used apps one-at-a-time and keep testing to see if a particular app leads to this keyboard issue you seem to be experiencing..
have you tried running MalwareBytes?
definitely do.
if you are using any pirate software or anything from any random host it could definitely be some malware leading to these keyboard behaviors.

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022
Also, have you tried running MalwareBytes ?
I use an antivirus called Hitman Pro, for which I have a license. I read it's one of the better ones to my knowledge, but I will do that. Also I've run Tron script, which to my knowldge uses malwarebytes.

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022
i don't see any mention of temperatures.
what are your average idle & max load(stressing/gaming) temps for both CPU & GPU?
They're very good, at 100C 70ish for gpu and processor peaks at 82 when under stress for 10+ minutes.
when reinstalling make sure to use a new Media Creation Tool and manually reinstall:

after the reinstall;
install your regularly used apps one-at-a-time and keep testing to see if a particular app leads to this keyboard issue you seem to be experiencing..
I can try doing that, and it will indeed take me some time if do it this way
definitely do.
if you are using any pirate software or anything from any random host it could definitely be some malware leading to these keyboard behaviors.
I will. and I'll report back

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022

Ok I found this in the event viewer RIGHT before it shut down.
here are the 3 errors that come before my pc shuts down.

-A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_7f240 service to connect.
-The GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_7f240 service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
-DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service BcastDVRUserService_7f240 with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
Windows.Media.Capture.Internal.AppCaptureShell

And then the pc initiated

File System Filter 'BEDaisy' (Version 10.0, ‎2024‎-‎04‎-‎05T02:17:10.000000000Z) unloaded successfully.
and
The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-JKU0OQF) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-JKU0OQF on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shut-down Type: power off

I can't really make anything out of this?

Ralston18

Titan
Re:

"GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_7f240" and "BcastDVRUserService_7f240"

What games and, perhaps more importantly, what game recording software (if any) do you have installed?

In Resource Monitor (Run as admin) do you see any similar listings?

Look through the Resource Monitor tabs for Processes with the same or similar names.

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022
Re:

"GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_7f240" and "BcastDVRUserService_7f240"

What games and, perhaps more importantly, what game recording software (if any) do you have installed?

In Resource Monitor (Run as admin) do you see any similar listings?

Look through the Resource Monitor tabs for Processes with the same or similar names.
only Nvidia experince and that's the one I usually tend to use. I made sure to look into all apllication erros that may have triggered the winlogon event, but didn't find any in the event viewer(maybe I don't know what to look for). Currently I'm looking at the resource monitor in adming mode, and there's only nvidia running with its containers and etc. But nothing else. It's supposed to be running, as I have it turned on...

Corroshi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2022
only Nvidia experince and that's the one I usually tend to use. I made sure to look into all apllication erros that may have triggered the winlogon event, but didn't find any in the event viewer(maybe I don't know what to look for). Currently I'm looking at the resource monitor in adming mode, and there's only nvidia running with its containers and etc. But nothing else. It's supposed to be running, as I have it turned on...
also I have the game capture from windows turned off

Ralston18

Titan
So the source for ""GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_7f240" and "BcastDVRUserService_7f240" is unknown in that you did not knowingly install them or some other app, tool, or utility that might have done so - correct?

Look through all of the Resource Monitor tabs. Watch the graphical displays for changes of any sort just before problems occur. You will need to keep the tool window open and viewable while working and gaming as you normally do.

Another tool: try Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

[Note: one tool at a time though).]

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The objective being to find some Process that starts running, grabs resources, stops running, changes, etc. just before or at the time of the problems.

Many Processes are dependent on other Processes so working through the sequence of what all happened can require some time and effort.

Take your time. Be methodical. No need to rush. Try to identify circumstances and actions that cause the problem(s) to occur. Being able to duplicate or cause the problem at will is one step closer to figuring out what is astray.