My PC is hosting a WiFi network. What is it?

Talo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
So this morning i noticed on my phone that there was a network available with strong signal, and apparently, it's my computer that is hosting it.

The name of the network is "DIRECT-YMMYUSERNAMEmsMD" what on earth is this and how do I stop it?

I went on to network configuration and Mobile hotspot and Turn on Remotely are turned off.

subir imagenes gratis

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hey Talo,

Could you send a screen show of all your network adapters please?

From what I can see your PC has somehow set up another LAN adapter. Usually this is due to some sort of software (an example is if you want networking to work in Virtual Box (a virtual machine software) it has to create another LAN adapter and turns your PC into a DHCP router for all internal VMs). In your case though I can't see alot of info and it doesn't look to be an ADHOC network. So I would right click LAN 4 and click disable until you finish your investigation. Although if "Outta sight, outta mind" works for you, disabling it will work and you can just forget about it haha.

Note: It may seem silly but if any one has touched your PC and inserted another...
Hey Talo,

Could you send a screen show of all your network adapters please?

From what I can see your PC has somehow set up another LAN adapter. Usually this is due to some sort of software (an example is if you want networking to work in Virtual Box (a virtual machine software) it has to create another LAN adapter and turns your PC into a DHCP router for all internal VMs). In your case though I can't see alot of info and it doesn't look to be an ADHOC network. So I would right click LAN 4 and click disable until you finish your investigation. Although if "Outta sight, outta mind" works for you, disabling it will work and you can just forget about it haha.

Note: It may seem silly but if any one has touched your PC and inserted another LAN adapter (an example would be those USB to LAN adapters, some of them come with their OWN adapter drivers and software, therefore setting up another LAN on top of your motherboards build in LAN). But that would be pretty obvious if you just looked at your PC.

:)

- LE

Solution