Question My PC is shutting down during a power outage even though it's connected to a UPS ?

Jun 26, 2023
Hello, Im having a issue where only my PC is shutting down during a power outage even though it's connected to a UPS.
I'm using the same UPS on multiple 3d printers that consume more power than my PC is idle. Ive lost a lot of work due to this issue.

This is my UPS model:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

System specs:
CPU: i9-10900k
GPU: evga 3090 hybrid
RAM: 32gb Kingston
PSU: Enermax 1200w platinum

This is my PC usage when im doing my work:

cMqfUPC.jpg

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello, Im having a issue where only my PC is shutting down during a power outage even though it's connected to a UPS.
I'm using the same UPS on multiple 3d printers that consume more power than my PC is idle. Ive lost a lot of work due to this issue.

This is my UPS model:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

System specs:
CPU: i9-10900k
GPU: evga 3090 hybrid
RAM: 32gb Kingston
PSU: Enermax 1200w platinum

This is my PC usage when im doing my work:

cMqfUPC.jpg
The item description says that it only runs for 2.5 minutes at a full load… If you’re overloading it, it might run for even less than that. I’d say that’s the problem. According to the description, it also says that on the screen you can see how long it will last if you experience a power outage. What is this screen saying?

Jun 26, 2023
The item description says that it only runs for 2.5 minutes at a full load… If you’re overloading it, it might run for even less than that. I’d say that’s the problem. According to the description, it also says that on the screen you can see how long it will last if you experience a power outage. What is this screen saying?
Before a power outage with running just my work load it shows 15 min for battery life and only 60% load, should be enough time for me to turn off my PC, the modem and desk lamp connected to the UPS do not goi out, just the computer will turn off then immediately restart. Here is the current load and info from UPS.
z3jucbs.png

kanewolf

Titan
Before a power outage with running just my work load it shows 15 min for battery life and only 60% load, should be enough time for me to turn off my PC, the modem and desk lamp connected to the UPS do not goi out, just the computer will turn off then immediately restart. Here is the current load and info from UPS.
z3jucbs.png
Batteries do fail. Have you replaced the battery ?
Does that UPS have a self test capability ? My UPS units all self test every week, and switch the output to battery for a few seconds while mains is still good. If the UPS detects the battery draining too quickly it will fail the self test.

Jun 26, 2023
Batteries do fail. Have you replaced the battery ?
Does that UPS have a self test capability ? My UPS units all self test every week, and switch the output to battery for a few seconds while mains is still good. If the UPS detects the battery draining too quickly it will fail the self test.
Yes it pass's the Battery test, only the PC shuts off on a load, I can run a printer at 600w and when power goes out the printer stays on but the PC pulling 300w it shuts off. I'm thinking its a UPS issue. I should add I use 10 of these units on printers and have switched them out with PC and still have the same issue.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes it pass's the Battery test, only the PC shuts off on a load, I can run a printer at 600w and power goes out the printer stays on but the PC pulling 300w it shuts off. Im thinking its a UPS issue. I should add I use 10 of these units on printers and have switched them out with PC and still have the same issue.
Then you will have to buy a different UPS. It may be the case that the transfer time is too slow and a voltage sag happens that the PC can't tolerate.
I recommend double conversion UPS. That means that the load is always running on AC created from DC. Either interally created DC or battery DC. I use the APC Smart-Online 1500 UPS. I get an ethernet card and monitor all my UPS remotely.

Jun 26, 2023
Then you will have to buy a different UPS. It may be the case that the transfer time is too slow and a voltage sag happens that the PC can't tolerate.
I recommend double conversion UPS. That means that the load is always running on AC created from DC. Either interally created DC or battery DC. I use the APC Smart-Online 1500 UPS. I get an ethernet card and monitor all my UPS remotely.
I dont know why i didnt think to test this before but it seems it's my PSU that can't handle the switch over, I just did a test on my wife PC that has same specs as mine except a 3080 and a seagate 1200w psu and it stays on when I unplug the UPS.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Realizing it is a bit more complex than how I am about to put it, but you have a 1200W PSU hooked to a 1000W UPS. Obviously, you are not (always) running on full load power, but this in itself is an indicator that you need a larger UPS for the PC.

Most reputable manufacturers will have a calculator on site to help choose a product.

Of note here, if you have all those backups running off the same circuit there may be a base issue of enough power to run them all. Have you tried moving some to a different circuit (if not already)?
Are you running the PC and/or its backup off an extension cord or power strip?

Do you have peripherals that could be unplugged from the backup circuit and still keep the PC and screen on?

Jun 26, 2023
Realizing it is a bit more complex than how I am about to put it, but you have a 1200W PSU hooked to a 1000W UPS. Obviously, you are not (always) running on full load power, but this in itself is an indicator that you need a larger UPS for the PC.

Most reputable manufacturers will have a calculator on site to help choose a product.

Of note here, if you have all those backups running off the same circuit there may be a base issue of enough power to run them all. Have you tried moving some to a different circuit (if not already)?
Are you running the PC and/or its backup off an extension cord or power strip?

Do you have peripherals that could be unplugged from the backup circuit and still keep the PC and screen on?
Yes all 10 printers are on 3 separate circuits than my PC, as stated in last comment wifes PC has same rated PSU but diff brand but doesn't shut off. Im thinking it the enermax PSU that cant handle over the switchover.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The 3090 draws considerable more power than the 3080. You could well be right. I see folks have inquired about the batteries being replaced.

I have been using an APC branded rack style power supply for years now. It has been a really stand up unit. Got it on an insane deal with the cost being finding a place to keep the darned thing.

I recently had to swap the batteries for it and although APC lists the manufacturer spec battery on their site, I could not find anywhere to purchase them. Even our supply house (ADI) lists them for sale, but can't get them.
The manufacturer spec battery is a pair of 12V 9aH batts. I stepped the unit down to some 12V 7aH batts and the unit works fine, just a bit less run time.
I am not familiar enough with that unit to know what and in what configuration the batteries are in, but if you are familiar with low voltage and series connections it may be worth trying a bigger set of batteries, if they will fit. You can purchase F-connector style batts all over the place.

IF you don't know your way around the type of connection or the amount of amperage a battery can put out, don't. They can put out enough juice to severely injure or even kill a person.

Jun 26, 2023
The 3090 draws considerable more power than the 3080. You could well be right. I see folks have inquired about the batteries being replaced.

I have been using an APC branded rack style power supply for years now. It has been a really stand up unit. Got it on an insane deal with the cost being finding a place to keep the darned thing.

I recently had to swap the batteries for it and although APC lists the manufacturer spec battery on their site, I could not find anywhere to purchase them. Even our supply house (ADI) lists them for sale, but can't get them.
The manufacturer spec battery is a pair of 12V 9aH batts. I stepped the unit down to some 12V 7aH batts and the unit works fine, just a bit less run time.
I am not familiar enough with that unit to know what and in what configuration the batteries are in, but if you are familiar with low voltage and series connections it may be worth trying a bigger set of batteries, if they will fit. You can purchase F-connector style batts all over the place.

IF you don't know your way around the type of connection or the amount of amperage a battery can put out, don't. They can put out enough juice to severely injure or even kill a person.
Im just doing the easy thing and switching out my UPS for my wife as mine is used for work and she uses her 3080 to watch youtube videos. I appreciate the help, Im going to upgrade to a rack system with multiple UPS in the future, I have a issue here where I get power blips 4-5 times a day that's enough to turn everything off. Really sucks loosing 3 hours of firmware coding.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If you manage to shut down your 3D printers "gracefully" when the mains fails and they are in the middle of printing something out, can you pick up where you left off when the mains is restored, or do you have to start again?

If you have to abandon the print run, is there any point running them on a UPS?

If your PC stops working when the UPS switches over, the 400V bulk capacitor in the ATX PSU is too small. The ATX spec. says the hold up time for an ATX PSU should be at least 17ms. If your PSU is substandard, it might stop working before the UPS switches over.

Ideally you should get an "always online" UPS with a pure sine wave output. There's no switch over delay when the mains fails, so your PC will continue to work until the battery dies.

A UPS can indicate battery 100% full but when you need to use it, the UPS might stop working a few tens of seconds later. This is an obvious indication the batteries need replacing. When batteries are more than 3 years old, you're living on borrowed time before a replacement is required.

UPS are rated in VA (a larger number) and Watts (a smaller number). You need to know the Power Factor of all devices attached, to work out if you are exceeding the capacity of a UPS.

Large industrial UPS are powered by banks of batteries, each one big enough to start a truck engine. Whole rooms of batteries on racks are dedicated to supply one UPS. The UPS supplies hundreds of kW for ten minutes or longer, until a diesel backup generator starts up.

Home and office UPS last a few minutes at maximum output (with good batteries) and may not give enough time for you to shut down multiple items. More sophisticated UPS come with a USB or Ethernet output which allow unattended automatic shutdown of your system.

Jun 26, 2023
If you manage to shut down your 3D printers "gracefully" when the mains fails and they are in the middle of printing something out, can you pick up where you left off when the mains is restored, or do you have to start again?

If you have to abandon the print run, is there any point running them on a UPS?

If your PC stops working when the UPS switches over, the 400V bulk capacitor in the ATX PSU is too small. The ATX spec. says the hold up time for an ATX PSU should be at least 17ms. If your PSU is substandard, it might stop working before the UPS switches over.

Ideally you should get an "always online" UPS with a pure sine wave output. There's no switch over delay when the mains fails, so your PC will continue to work until the battery dies.

A UPS can indicate battery 100% full but when you need to use it, the UPS might stop working a few tens of seconds later. This is an obvious indication the batteries need replacing. When batteries are more than 3 years old, you're living on borrowed time before a replacement is required.

UPS are rated in VA (a larger number) and Watts (a smaller number). You need to know the Power Factor of all devices attached, to work out if you are exceeding the capacity of a UPS.

Large industrial UPS are powered by banks of batteries, each one big enough to start a truck engine. Whole rooms of batteries on racks are dedicated to supply one UPS. The UPS supplies hundreds of kW for ten minutes or longer, until a diesel backup generator starts up.

Home and office UPS last a few minutes at maximum output (with good batteries) and may not give enough time for you to shut down multiple items. More sophisticated UPS come with a USB or Ethernet output which allow unattended automatic shutdown of your system.
No you can not gracefully shut down and yes most printers do have a resume on power loss, Most of my printers run Klipper that doesn't though, I don't have many times my power goes out for extended periods, I just have a lot of brownouts for some reason, 2-3 second drops in power.

I did notice that if just turn my PC on and don't log in and unplug the ups the PC stays on, its after logging in and giving a load it doesn't.