[SOLVED] My PC is suddenly restarting while my GPU heats.

lonewolfraider

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
Hello!
So recently whenever my GPU temp goes around 75-80 ° my PC suddenly restart.
My specs are:
CPU - i7-9700k
GPU - GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6
Motherboard - Gigabyte B365M
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance
SSD - WD 240GB
PSU: Cooler Master 550W

What can be possible causes of this? GPU overheat or Power supply? Any tests i can do? I re-installed the OS BTW.

Last edited:
Solution
Here are the pictures attached you asked:
So what do you think?
Your cpu cooler is installed wrong. It is blowing hot air from cpu to your graphics card.
Your case doesn't have any exhaust fans in the back.
Can't see, if your case has any intake fans.

Redo it correctly.

XIDYV71.png

BTW - there is plastic film still on the shroud of your graphics card. You have to peel it off.
If fan side of the card has such film too, then it has to be removed also.

Lutfij

Titan
CoolerMaster is the brand of the PSU, while 550W is the wattage, it doesn't indicate what the model of the PSU is. Also how old is the PSU? That processor shouldn't be on that board. A Z370/Z390 board would've been more fitting.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on right now? BIOS version for the motherboard?

lonewolfraider

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
CoolerMaster is the brand of the PSU, while 550W is the wattage, it doesn't indicate what the model of the PSU is. Also how old is the PSU? That processor shouldn't be on that board. A Z370/Z390 board would've been more fitting.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on right now? BIOS version for the motherboard?
I really don't remember the model of PSU but it is mostly Cooler Master MWE 550W and my whole setup is 8-9 months old. Also the motherboard Is B365M and not B350M. Windows 10 version is
Version 1903 and BIOS version of motherboard is American Megatrends Inc. F5, 13-08-2019.

lonewolfraider Hello. Please check your CPU temps, while it's under load, and report the results back in this thread. I'm guessing that there is one of two causes of your rebooting problem: (1) The excess heat from your GPU load combined with insufficient CPU cooler or case airflow is causing your CPU to overheat to the point of thermal throttling and eventual reboot, or (2) Your power supply is malfunctioning, irregardless of wattage load, and a warranty replacement indicated.

question: (1) What is the CPU cooler model that you're using. (2) Approximately how long does it take before a reboot happens?

request: Please take two photos of the inside of your computer case: Have one photo showing the entire motherboard and case fans in the computer, as I'd like to get an idea of airflow, and (2) Take a photo of the power supply label, so that we can see the precise model.

Summary: After you take note of the temps that your CPU reaches under load, then let's test my theory. Please open the side of the case, while the computer is still powered on. Are all the case fans spinning? Is the CPU fan spinning? Now take your computer and place it on it's side, while the computer remains on. The motherboard should be exposed and pointed toward your ceiling. Please try to keep the components cool during this test. Either turn on the AC in the room that contains the computer, or get a floor fan, point it toward the computer, and turn the fan on. Now place the CPU under load again and see if you can reproduce the rebooting.

Btw, it's entirely possible that a new power supply could fail to the point of rebooting the system with minimal load placed on it. I've personally experience such a problem with a high quality PSU. But the cpu overheating is more likely the cause. Please try my suggestions and respond back to this message thread ASAP.

lonewolfraider

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
What manufacturer/model GTX 1660ti ?
Factory overclocked model? Try reducing gpu overclock.
It is not overclocked. It's Inno3D 1660ti.

lonewolfraider Hello. Please check your CPU temps, while it's under load, and report the results back in this thread. I'm guessing that there is one of two causes of your rebooting problem: (1) The excess heat from your GPU load combined with insufficient CPU cooler or case airflow is causing your CPU to overheat to the point of thermal throttling and eventual reboot, or (2) Your power supply is malfunctioning, irregardless of wattage load, and a warranty replacement indicated.

question: (1) What is the CPU cooler model that you're using. (2) Approximately how long does it take before a reboot happens?

request: Please take two photos of the inside of your computer case: Have one photo showing the entire motherboard and case fans in the computer, as I'd like to get an idea of airflow, and (2) Take a photo of the power supply label, so that we can see the precise model.

Summary: After you take note of the temps that your CPU reaches under load, then let's test my theory. Please open the side of the case, while the computer is still powered on. Are all the case fans spinning? Is the CPU fan spinning? Now take your computer and place it on it's side, while the computer remains on. The motherboard should be exposed and pointed toward your ceiling. Please try to keep the components cool during this test. Either turn on the AC in the room that contains the computer, or get a floor fan, point it toward the computer, and turn the fan on. Now place the CPU under load again and see if you can reproduce the rebooting.

Btw, it's entirely possible that a new power supply could fail to the point of rebooting the system with minimal load placed on it. I've personally experience such a problem with a high quality PSU. But the cpu overheating is more likely the cause. Please try my suggestions and respond back to this message thread ASAP.
My CPU temp is normally 65° when this happens. So i did what you exactly said, i did intensive gaming (for 30 mints) while good air flow in my cabinet with side panel opened and the max temp i saw was GPU: 63° and CPU: 57°. My PC didn't restart while i did this. While if i normally do this my PC temp would have gone: GPU: 80° + and CPU: 65-70° but with good air flow in cabinet my PC ran fine and temps were actually good. I will say this before my PC gets restarted i actually feel the heat while touching my cabinet. Also when my PC reboots my monitor goes off but i can hear the gameplay sound for next 5 seconds and then the PC reboots which normally takes 10 seconds approx. My fans were running good. Here are the pictures attached you asked:
View: https://i.imgur.com/0cCd6Ey.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/Q8UPDFr.jpg

So what do you think?

Here are the pictures attached you asked:
So what do you think?
Your cpu cooler is installed wrong. It is blowing hot air from cpu to your graphics card.
Your case doesn't have any exhaust fans in the back.
Can't see, if your case has any intake fans.

Redo it correctly.

XIDYV71.png

BTW - there is plastic film still on the shroud of your graphics card. You have to peel it off.
If fan side of the card has such film too, then it has to be removed also.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcald2000
Solution
SkyNetRising good catch.

uppercut4u I agree 100%.

lonewolfraider If your CPU fan / heatsink was oriented properly, the inside of your case and components were clean, and plastic protection wasn't on GPU, then I would feel confident in saying that your PSU is the culprit. However, I honestly can't be confident of the cause, until you remedy those three things, post an updated photo here, and re-test to gather new temps and see whether problem is better, worse or the same.

Question: Does your case have at least one rear fan and one front fan? What's the mfg and model of your case?