Question My PC keeps boot cycling and i cant seem to find the solution.

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Components:
Ryzen 2700x
32gb 8x4 vengeance lpx (cl15 at 3000mhz)
1080ti aorus edition
Prime x470 mobo
Corsair RM1000x (was going to add another GPU but can't because of this problem)
Corsair H110i v2
Samsung Evo 250gb ssd
(Have more storage but haven't added it yet)
Also using cable mod cables as well

My system is powering on fine then goes to the Asus screen then to the blue window "preparing repairs" or something like that and then starts to boot cycle. I have replaced and unplugged everything I could think of but nothing has worked. I have used the mobo speaker and it only reads one beep which I have looked up and it said it's either the PSU or ram but both are new and work fine. I bought new ram just to check and it still didn't boot properly. I have also rma'd my mobo twice because of this problem and it came back clean. I can also get into the bios fine but when I save and exit it starts the boot cycle again. I don't know where to go from here. If you have any advice I will take it. If you want a video of the issue to better understand what is happening just message me.

(Also wanted to add that I have updated the bios on the mobo before and it didn't help either)

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Windows version? Source?

PSU: make, model, wattage?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Windows 10. It was a fresh install. What do you mean by source. I have it on my ssd that works (used it in my other PC). I think it's booting into safe mode. PSU- Corsair RM1000x it's rated for 1000w.

Update:I can't get into safe mode. I did what Microsoft suggested and I couldn't get into safe mode.

Last edited:

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Okay - go for the clean install via the Forum instructions.

Plan it out, take your time, keep notes of what you do and what happens.

Okay I followed the steps in that forum post. However, when I tried to boot my PC up it would only go to bios or the Asus loading screen then start boot cycling again. It didn't even prompt installing Windows. I tried this a couple of times and it didn't even try to prompt the windows install.
I only had a new ssd plugged in as my primary storage.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure what else to suggest as you may indeed be dealing with a hardware failure/fault of some sort.

What makes it difficult is that the Ryzen 2700x does not have iGPU. So slimming down the system to as basic a build as possible still requires a GPU.

If two motherboards have been tried and come back clean then I am tempted to take the motherboard off the "problem" list.

Are you able to borrow another GPU from a family member or friend? Things are narrowing down to being able to swap out individual components one by one and managing to ensure that any given component is known to work.

You tried another USB drive for the install. What about the Samsung 250GB SSD?

Do you have another drive to install and setup as the boot drive?

Also, perhaps someone else will read through this thread and note some error of omission or commission on my part. I have no problem with that.

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Not sure what else to suggest as you may indeed be dealing with a hardware failure/fault of some sort.

What makes it difficult is that the Ryzen 2700x does not have iGPU. So slimming down the system to as basic a build as possible still requires a GPU.

If two motherboards have been tried and come back clean then I am tempted to take the motherboard off the "problem" list.

Are you able to borrow another GPU from a family member or friend? Things are narrowing down to being able to swap out individual components one by one and managing to ensure that any given component is known to work.

You tried another USB drive for the install. What about the Samsung 250GB SSD?

Do you have another drive to install and setup as the boot drive?

Also, perhaps someone else will read through this thread and note some error of omission or commission on my part. I have no problem with that.

I have another GPU that I can use. I have tried my ssd that I am currently using and a brand new ssd (Samsung as well) and both are experiencing the same problem. I will swap the GPU to see if that changes anything. Also wanted to add if I hadn't before but there are indicator lights above the power cables in the GPU that are also cycling. I read another forum post and it said that it means the GPU is getting abnormal power. Could that be a cause for this? I also have 2 other hdd I could use if the other ssd doesn't work.

The forum post I was referring to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gtx-1080-blinking-white-light.2859950/

Last edited:

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Hey guys, so I know its been a while but school has really taken a lot of my time up. Today I used my old rig(currently using it as my primary) to test my GPU and I think I found the problem. The GPU is experiencing the same issues when used on my new rig: power cycling. On my old rig, my CPU has integrated graphics so I plugged in a DVI cable to the motherboard and it showed an image on my monitor. Now that I have narrowed it down to my GPU (at least I am pretty sure it's my GPU) what should I do from here? I think I am past warranty from Gigabyte so should I just RMA it?

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
I contacted Gigabyte today and they said to RMA it because it was still in the three year warranty. So that will be my next step but if that doesn't work I really don't know what to do. Thank you for your continued help btw.

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Hey guys so I just got back my GPU from Gigabyte and they said it wasn't defective in any way. Now I am thinking that it might be the power supply I have from Corsair that is the issue. I am sending in an RMA request to see if that is the problem. I honestly can't think of what is wrong with my rig. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
From your November 18th PM to me:

"I recently sent my GPU and PSU back to the manufacturer and they said nothing was wrong with those components. The link will direct you to the previous conversations we have had in regard to my computer and troubleshooting. The only other component i haven't switched out is my CPU but my motherboard speaker isn't giving me that code. I don't really know what to do and would be really grateful for your insight into my situation.
Thank you "

First - please no PM's - keep all posts within this thread so anyone else following along will be kept up to date. Someone could, for example, notice some error of omission or commission on my part.

=========

Are you able to get into BIOS? If so, set the POST output to be as comprehensive and verbose as possible. Simply to gain some additional insight as to what is going on during POST.

What codes or beeps, if any, do you now get from the motherboard?

I would not suspect the CPU and would leave a switching the CPU out as a last resort.

Double check everything again:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. Then ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any signs of damage: swollen components, black or brown mis-coloration, bare conductor showing on a wire, kinked or pinched wires.

Use a bright flashlight to look all around. Pay close attention to the PSU wires going into the PSU connectors serving the motherboard or other components. None of the wires should be loose or wiggling within the connector. The connectors should likewise be squarely and firmly in place.

If nothing is found then, the original "Windows needs repair" issue may be an indication that Windows is grossly corrupted and cannot fix itself.

Then a fresh installation may be necessary.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you updated the bios, using the correct procedure? Many of those boards required you take steps and update the bios in a series of updates, not just jumping to the latest. Also be careful to read the bios notes as you may need to stop updating as you are using a 2000 series cpu and the latest bios are almost always for 3000 series only.

Since you have reinstalled windows, at least more than once, you'll also benefit from downloading the motherboard chipset drivers, not relying on windows generic native drivers.

Reactions: Ralston18

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
From your November 18th PM to me:

"I recently sent my GPU and PSU back to the manufacturer and they said nothing was wrong with those components. The link will direct you to the previous conversations we have had in regard to my computer and troubleshooting. The only other component i haven't switched out is my CPU but my motherboard speaker isn't giving me that code. I don't really know what to do and would be really grateful for your insight into my situation.
Thank you "

First - please no PM's - keep all posts within this thread so anyone else following along will be kept up to date. Someone could, for example, notice some error of omission or commission on my part.

=========

Are you able to get into BIOS? If so, set the POST output to be as comprehensive and verbose as possible. Simply to gain some additional insight as to what is going on during POST.

What codes or beeps, if any, do you now get from the motherboard?

I would not suspect the CPU and would leave a switching the CPU out as a last resort.

Double check everything again:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. Then ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any signs of damage: swollen components, black or brown mis-coloration, bare conductor showing on a wire, kinked or pinched wires.

Use a bright flashlight to look all around. Pay close attention to the PSU wires going into the PSU connectors serving the motherboard or other components. None of the wires should be loose or wiggling within the connector. The connectors should likewise be squarely and firmly in place.

If nothing is found then, the original "Windows needs repair" issue may be an indication that Windows is grossly corrupted and cannot fix itself.

Then a fresh installation may be necessary.

I am not that educated or fluent when it comes to BIOS settings. Are there any recommendations when/if I get into the BIOS? I will document the settings that are currently applied to give you more insight into what might be the problem. Thank you for the suggestion.

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Have you updated the bios, using the correct procedure? Many of those boards required you take steps and update the bios in a series of updates, not just jumping to the latest. Also be careful to read the bios notes as you may need to stop updating as you are using a 2000 series cpu and the latest bios are almost always for 3000 series only.

Since you have reinstalled windows, at least more than once, you'll also benefit from downloading the motherboard chipset drivers, not relying on windows generic native drivers.

I have not updated the BIOS. I have RMA'd the board twice but am unaware if they updated the BIOS when I sent it back. I will download the latest BIOS for the 2000 series chipset drivers. Can I simply go to the ASUS website and download the drivers then update the BIOS from a USB?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most times the drivers will be either in a self executing package or are self installing, but there can be some odd balls that you'll need to manually install. They'll cover all the major chipset functions like audio, Lan, USB family, Sata, pcie etc.

The bios you'll need to read. First go into your bios and write down the version number. Then go to the support we page and open the bios section. Look down the list until you find yours. Then start reading the notes of the bios above it. There are quite often stopping points that are priority upgrades. You might have v1.1, v1.2-1.4 can be skipped as just fixes, v1.5 a stopping point containing all the 1.2-1.5 fixes. You'll know because v2.0 will tell you you need v1.5 before continuing.

It may be that you don't have many to do, or are high enough that you can just jump to the latest, or maybe the rma installed the latest for you, you'll find out by looking at the version numbers.

Bios update has become pretty normalized and relatively easy compared to the nightmare it used to be, but as long as you follow the instructions Exactly, there shouldn't be any hiccups. That means have patience and don't freak out and turn off the pc cuz you think it froze up.

fuzionfallout

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Most times the drivers will be either in a self executing package or are self installing, but there can be some odd balls that you'll need to manually install. They'll cover all the major chipset functions like audio, Lan, USB family, Sata, pcie etc.

The bios you'll need to read. First go into your bios and write down the version number. Then go to the support we page and open the bios section. Look down the list until you find yours. Then start reading the notes of the bios above it. There are quite often stopping points that are priority upgrades. You might have v1.1, v1.2-1.4 can be skipped as just fixes, v1.5 a stopping point containing all the 1.2-1.5 fixes. You'll know because v2.0 will tell you you need v1.5 before continuing.

It may be that you don't have many to do, or are high enough that you can just jump to the latest, or maybe the rma installed the latest for you, you'll find out by looking at the version numbers.

Bios update has become pretty normalized and relatively easy compared to the nightmare it used to be, but as long as you follow the instructions Exactly, there shouldn't be any hiccups. That means have patience and don't freak out and turn off the pc cuz you think it froze up.

Thank you for your insight. I will try finding what version of BIOS I have and then updating it accordingly.