Question My PC keeps rebooting randomly

Dec 4, 2021
I had a windows 10 update in the middle of the night and when I went to get on in the morning my pc would randomly reboot if I tried logging in. I was able to remove the latest update and the system seemed to work, but the update downloaded again and this time it is stuck in a reboot loop. I can’t login, I cannot get into safe mode, I can barely navigate in the recovery screen before it reboots but if I can the repair pc doesn’t work, I can’t remove the latest update anymore, and a restore does nothing even if it’s a month prior. I can access the command prompt. I cleaned both drives hoping to reinstall fresh and windows install reboots my pc every time when I get to the terms of agreement.

things I have tried…
  1. Memtest86. All passing and cpu temps were good
  2. Bought a new PSU 850 w and the same issues. Even redid all cable management to ensure no loose cables
  3. Unplugged my drives individually and the same exact reboots. Even purchased a new pcei drive
  4. Updated BIOS to newest version
  5. New download of windows media installation tool.

I am just not sure what to try next. Unplug the GPU and try and install?

Parts
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B550 pro ac rev 1
GPU: Gigabyte rtx 3070
RAM: Corsair 3000 mhz
PSU: Corsair rmx rm850x
Storage: 1tb Samsung 970 pcie m2, 500gb Samsung ssd

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you please state what the BIOS version for your motherboard is at the time of writing? As for your installer, can you state where you sourced the installer for Windows 10? Some people tend to use Rufus after sourcing the ISO using Windows Media Creation Tools, hence the question.

I'd suggest breadboarding the system, with only the drive you intend to install the OS on, with one stick of ram on slot A2. While breadboarded and disconnected from the wall and display, remove CMOS battery and replace after 30 minutes. See if that brings back stability to your system.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you please state what the BIOS version for your motherboard is at the time of writing? As for your installer, can you state where you sourced the installer for the Windows 10? Some people tend to use Rufus after sourcing the ISO using Windows Media Creation Tools, hence the question.

I'd suggest breadboarding the system, with only the drive you intend to install the OS on, with one stick of ram on slot A2. While breadboarded and disconnected from the wall and display, remove CMOS battery and replace after 30 minutes. See if that brings back stability to your system.
I tried one stick at a time in slot A2 through memtest86 with 8 passes each. I also removed the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS. No luck. My Ryzen 5900x does not have integrated graphics so I can’t test with no GPU but I have wiped everything and have a new drive, unless there is a place the drivers are on the system and I need to remove them. Out of things to try. Is it time to send the MOBO in for warranty?

Lutfij

Titan
Rufus is a tool used to fabricate bootable media if you have an ISO of an installer or platform. No, you're fine using Windows Media Creation Tools to create your installer. As for your motherboard, that is quite weird, though have you tried powering the system off another wall outlet in your crib? Which slot is the boot SSD populating on the board?

When I suggested breadboarding, I meant removing the innards out of the case to rule out a grounding issue with the chassis, not to run your platform without a discrete, since I know the processor you have is devoid of an iGPU(not an APU). At this point, have you tried sourcing a PSU from your friend or neighbor who also owns a reliably built PSU with at least 750W of power for the entire system?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021
Rufus is a tool used to fabricate bootable media if you have an ISO of an installer or platform. No, you're fine using Windows Media Creation Tools to create your installer. As for your motherboard, that is quite weird, though have you tried powering the system off another wall outlet in your crib? Which slot is the boot SSD populating on the board?

When I suggested breadboarding, I meant removing the innards out of the case to rule out a grounding issue with the chassis, not to run your platform without a discrete, since I know the processor you have is devoid of an iGPU(not an APU). At this point, have you tried sourcing a PSU from your friend or neighbor who also owns a reliably built PSU with at least 750W of power for the entire system?
I did attempt a different outlet. Also, I purchased a new PSU to validate that the power supply is not the issue. My pcei m2 ssd is in the first pcei slot and the other ssd is not longer connected. The usb bootable drive is in the motherboard 3.2 usb slot. Taking the motherboard out to run is the only thing I have not tried, but the machine was working for months prior and up until a windows update. Since it’s not a fresh build I don’t see how that can resolve anything.