Question My PC keeps restarting after CPU upgrade ?

Apr 15, 2023
This is my second time buying i7-3770 but my pc still has the same problem from when i bought the first one, which is my pc successfully boot to windows but it is always keeps restarting randomly. It might be after 5 mins (if i do nothing it last longer but my PC hangs and there's blue colour in my screen).

I want to upgrade from G630 (my pc don't have any problem with it) and my motherboard is asrock h77 pro4/mvp, I've read the motherboard's manual and it is capable to use i7, i've done many things to try fix this problem like resetting the bios, replacing the ram, updated the driver, try to fix it with device manager, updated the bios and it solves nothing. Can anyone please help me, i really don't know what to do.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. As for your motherboard, please mention the BIOS version that you're working with.

You might also want to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins.

Reactions: msani

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
OP

is your Windows drivers fully updated?

can you still exchange the 3770? If it can be exchanged, I suggest getting an i5-2500K or i7-2600K.. these cpu's are just a little weaker than the 3770. but still a big improvement to what you have. On upgrading old hardware, I found Sandy Bridge to be easier to install. The i5-2500K is quite cheap, and should not cost you much.

Apr 15, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. As for your motherboard, please mention the BIOS version that you're working with.

You might also want to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins.
My PC specs:
CPU: i7-3770
CPU cooler: Deepcool Alta 9
Motherboard: AsRock H77 pro4/MVP (bios version 1.70)
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: 512 GB
GPU: -
PSU: Dazumba 450W (I don't know the age of the PSU because it was included with the case)
Case: Dazumba D-Vito 783
Monitor: sharp aquos

I don't find any bent or broken pins

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023
OP

is your Windows drivers fully updated?

can you still exchange the 3770? If it can be exchanged, I suggest getting an i5-2500K or i7-2600K.. these cpu's are just a little weaker than the 3770. but still a big improvement to what you have. On upgrading old hardware, I found Sandy Bridge to be easier to install. The i5-2500K is quite cheap, and should not cost you much.
Yes, my windows drivers fully updated.
I think it is still can, but i want to try to fix the 3770 first since it's the second time i bought it 😔, thanks for your suggestions tho

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
For PCs suddenly turning off while using them, the two most frequent causes are high temperatures or poor power delivery. Your PC works with the old CPU which only uses a little less power, but I don't like having sewage-level power supplies in the mix when trying to diagnose a problem like this. You can generally get away with a lower-quality power supply when you don't have a GPU, but there are limits, and junk PSUs included with PC cases is the PC equivalent of taking pills you find in an unmarked bottle in an alley.

What are your temperatures? The idea is to eliminate as many possible causes as we can.

Apr 15, 2023
For PCs suddenly turning off while using them, the two most frequent causes are high temperatures or poor power delivery. Your PC works with the old CPU which only uses a little less power, but I don't like having sewage-level power supplies in the mix when trying to diagnose a problem like this. You can generally get away with a lower-quality power supply when you don't have a GPU, but there are limits, and junk PSUs included with PC cases is the PC equivalent of taking pills you find in an unmarked bottle in an alley.

What are your temperatures? The idea is to eliminate as many possible causes as we can.
CPU: 50 C
Motherboard: 42 C

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I would make a PSU upgrade your first priority, just make it has an "80 Plus" rating, Bronze will do and, is from a well known brand. Cheapo supplies can be very unreliable and, may well not be capable of supplying the stated output or, properly meet the ATX standards. I learnt my lesson a long time ago!

Apr 15, 2023
I would make a PSU upgrade your first priority, just make it has an "80 Plus" rating, Bronze will do and, is from a well known brand. Cheapo supplies can be very unreliable and, may well not be capable of supplying the stated output or, properly meet the ATX standards. I learnt my lesson a long time ago!
Thanks