My PC mic very quiet but works fine on PS4?

Dec 5, 2018
My HyperX cloud stinger's mic stopped working about two weeks ago, I tried to check recording and it only recognize it if I blow into the mic, but when I use it for my ps4 it works fine. I already tried using the microphone boost and it has not helped. Do I just need to buy a new mic?

Solution
could either be a driver/software issue or the splitter you use to plug them into the PC.

What program are you using that has the quiet mic result?

Also, could just be that you need to update the audio drivers for your motherboard.

What motherboard do you have?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if it works flawlessly on PS4 but not on your PC then there's nothing wrong with the mic itself.
this would be either an issue with the audio jack port on the PC or software/drivers.

Are you plugging into the front panel audio on the PC case?
If so, try using the ports located on the motherboard at the back of the case instead.
Front panel is usually always crap.

Dec 5, 2018

I just tried plugging it in the motherboard itself and it still is really quiet

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
could either be a driver/software issue or the splitter you use to plug them into the PC.

What program are you using that has the quiet mic result?

Also, could just be that you need to update the audio drivers for your motherboard.

What motherboard do you have?

Solution
Dec 5, 2018

I have the asrock x470 gaming k4 and I already updated my driver and I was just testing the mic through the sound settings

Dec 5, 2018

I am almost certain its the splitter since I just plugged the mic itself into my phone and it worked fine

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
testing how?
Because the green volume level thing is not accurate enough.

Go to recording tab and go to properties of the mic and enable listen to this device and choose to playback through the headphones.

Also, can use Audacity to record some audio through mic and see if it is too quiet that way.

If you have any friends you can talk to using something like Discord to check mic audio you can do that too.
But going off of just the green bars in Windows audio settings is not accurate.