Question My PC Only Shows PXE as Boot Option

DaddyJohnny

Reputable
Jul 25, 2020
Hey folks,

I have an Origin prebuilt PC that I recently got. I am fairly certain that there is some form of motherboard defect, but I am not totally sure of the extent of it.

What I have discovered and have not found a solution for, however, is that the PC refuses to recognize boot devices. In UEFI, I only see PXE IPv4 and PXE IPv6 as boot options. I have attempted plugging in an m.2 SSD, a 2.5" SSD, and a 3.5" HDD. I have tried these all both with and without having Windows 10 installed onto the devices, all without any change. It does boot into the Windows 10 install off of a USB (Will not read an m.2 plugged into a USB with an adapter as a boot drive, but I also think this is normal with any PC) and within the Windows 10 install, it's able to read that I have a storage device plugged in. In this state, I can begin installing Windows 10, but when it restarts the PC, I can't go any further as it doesn't boot off of whatever I installed the OS to. When I turn on the PC, it also says
">Checking media presence....
>No media found..." which then makes it boot into UEFI.

I have tried resetting the UEFI settings, and I've also tried using a different SATA slot, but that's the only troubleshooting I could find online. Any other ideas would be so immensely appreciated. TIA, and good luck.

DaddyJohnny

Reputable
Jul 25, 2020
It sounds like the computer is trying to find and connect to Origin's network as part of the booting process. Is it supposed to connect to their network when booting? If you connect to the internet by ethernet before booting would it then boot?
As an update, plugging it in to ethernet allowed it to display that media was present, then it attempted to boot from PXE over IPv4. This failed as I don't have any deployment software set up on my home device. Afterwards, it attempted to boot over IPv6. This also failed, and it still has not given me any other options. :(

As an update, plugging it in to ethernet allowed it to display that media was present, then it attempted to boot from PXE over IPv4. This failed as I don't have any deployment software set up on my home device. Afterwards, it attempted to boot over IPv6. This also failed, and it still has not given me any other options. :(
You really need to talk to Origin about this. When you got the computer did Origin give you any instructions at all about how to set it up?