[SOLVED] my pc opens and all but my cpu fan is not spinning. how can i be sure its the cooling fan which is at fault??

Jun 16, 2021
it was working fine and i was playing game for 7/8 hours and after i finished playing i just opened speccy and there i found my cpu temp is above 90 c and no mentioning of the cpu fan. so i looked at the casing and saw it isnt spinning. so i shut down my pc and unplugged the fan from cpu and cleaned it gently with dry clothes and a turbo fan. i cleaned it thoroughly and reinstalled it but no change. when the pc starts it just moves 0.1 inch and thats all. then i even tried 2 drops of machine oil into its bearing but still the same. when the pc is running i tried spinning the fan(plugged) by finger and i felt a lot of tension there. i mean its really harder to move it there. not to mention i obviously tried placing its header on the system fan header, my mb doesnt have extra cpu fan header.

i just want to be sure if i am gonna need to change the cooler. or if it can be the psu or nothing at all. i didnt make any changes to bios settings ever but i entered bios now and saw the settings of the system fan active and speed set to normal. i dont have any other cpu cooling fan or a different motherboard to check with.

so is there any tools or methods to diagnose the cpu fan??

Solution
Yes, you need a new fan. the BIG clue is that the fan feels stiff to turn by finger. When you get your new fan, you will find it turns VERY easily by finger, and will coast down to a stop a bit slowly, NOT stop right away when you stop pushing it.
I think most likely it's the fan itself.

If it moves ( it just moves 0.1 inch and thats all )
and
( i felt a lot of tension there. )

are both signs you have voltage...which means I think most likely the PSU and motherboard are good.

The easiest thing at this point in my opinion is to swap in a new fan.

Reactions: CaptainLevi
Jun 16, 2021
thanks both.. i'm gonna buy a new fan then. and my casing fan doesnt come with the pin to insert into the headers. it's wire is connected to a plastic junction(idk what u call that) of some other wires. it's actually a pretty cheap casing.. so thats why i cant test the header on mb. anyway thanks.. i'm gonna buy a new fan anyway cause i just broke one of its blades trying angrily to reinstall once again lol

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, you need a new fan. the BIG clue is that the fan feels stiff to turn by finger. When you get your new fan, you will find it turns VERY easily by finger, and will coast down to a stop a bit slowly, NOT stop right away when you stop pushing it.

Solution