[SOLVED] my pc restarts after not having an internet connection for about a minute

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
  1. I turn on my pc for the first time for the day
  2. it boots into windows
  3. I notice that it has no internet connection and the operating system becomes very janky and slow
  4. after about 60 seconds (I didn't actually count, but it felt like about 60 seconds) my pc reboots on it's own
  5. on a separate occasion it would freeze up on the "welcome logging in" screen (I have no password so this should only ever last like 1 second under normal circumstances) for about 30 seconds then reboot on it's own
  6. it boots into windows
  7. pc functions as normal with an internet connection
My pc specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x
ASUS ROG Strix b550-f gaming
asus pce-ac56 (wifi card)
2 tb 970 evo plus
Seasonic Prime 750 platinum
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32gb (2x16gb) (f4-3600c16d-32gvkc)
5700xt

this has happened with the onboard lan (with lan however it would take about 30 seconds to connect to the internet and then it would work just fine without rebooting itself), as well as on a different wifi card I had before this one. I can also reboot it on my own and it works fine after rebooting.

also not a modem problem because I built a computer for my cousin and it connected perfectly fine to the internet over wifi on its first boot

I have also done a completely fresh install of windows and the problem still persists so I do not believe it could be a driver issue especially since before I did a fresh install I had everything updated to the absolute latest drivers

Solution
What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? We're on version 21H1. If you're not on that version, I'd suggest you recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and a 16GB pen drive. Also, can you check to see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? Can your remain in BIOS without any reboots? Age of the PSU in your build? Did you try uninstalling your WiFi adapter's drivers and then reinstalling the latest version, manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?
I swapped motherboards and that fixed it

Lutfij

Titan
What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? We're on version 21H1. If you're not on that version, I'd suggest you recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and a 16GB pen drive. Also, can you check to see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? Can your remain in BIOS without any reboots? Age of the PSU in your build? Did you try uninstalling your WiFi adapter's drivers and then reinstalling the latest version, manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
Windows version: 21H1
Bios Version 2006
yes I can remain in the bios for an unlimited amount of time without being rebooted
I ordered my psu on nov 30 of 2020
when I go to the asus pce-ac56 website and ask for drivers it only gives me a nearly blank document that only says "This client card supports windows 10 plug and play. Do not need driver CD, driver is included in Windows 10." I assume windows 10 would already run itself as an administrator.

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
I swapped motherboards and that fixed it

Solution