[SOLVED] My PC seems to cause my router to reset when im doing things on it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2021
So i have been having an internet problem that seems to be linked to my PC. Its been going on for a bout 10 weeks now and im going to start from the beginning so i can get as much information across as possible so hopefully some of you geniuses can help me.

I moved into my new house and got BT fibre broadband, for about 2 weeks it worked perfectly but i started losing internet when i was playing online games and speaking to people on discord. At first it just seemed like a random disconnect but it was only happening on my pc and it was significantly worse when online trying to do multiple things. Then i started getting the BT pop up saying "sorry but internet access to your pc has been paused". So naturally i checked the router settings to see if access/parental control has somehow turned on. It had never been turned on by me or my partner so i was confused at why this was happening. I then noticed in the my devices on my router pages. My PC alone had a blue access control symbol applied to it. I then spent about 8 weeks trying to resolve the issue with BT as the why this was even applied to my PC when none of it was turned on and they basically said they couldn't help me and tried to blame it on an issue with my PC.

At this time still i had a BT smart hub 2 plugged in, as BT seemed like they couldn't help me i started testing things on my own to see if it actually was something wrong with my PC or something else. The first thing i did was i bought a TP link router, this router cant have been plugged in for more than 20 minutes before it just started rebooting itself constantly when my PC was plugged into it. So i thought i could be just a cheap router or faulty, i then sent that back an bought a better TP link router to test and while this one didnt reset anywhere near as much or quick it was still doing it when my PC was plugged into it. In a final attempt to see if it was a router problem i send that one back and bought a £150 ASUS gaming one, this is the one i still have plugged in now and it still has the same issue as the TP link ones. So i can safely say its nothing to do with the router i have plugged in.

My PC is the only thing hardwired in to the router, i have since changed the cable and the issue still remained. I have also had BT out to change the modem and the problem is still here. So the next thing i did was swap PCs with one of my friends. When i had his PC at my house the router reboot happened once again when his PC was wired into the router. As soon as this happened i was quite happy as i assumed it wasn't a problem with my PC. While he had my PC at his house for the 3 days it never went off on his virgin broadband.

Something to note also is when my friend got his PC back it was full of malware to the point where he couldn't get the PC to stay on long enough for a full reset. He has since managed it but it can't be a coincidence that it happened after being at my house. I do not know enough about malware but can you get it through a router? I notice on my Mcafee firewall logs that i have loads of blocked connections, some of them being IP address on my own network but also lots of random PCs trying to access my PC without my permission.

I have also updated my drivers and factory reset my pc in all of this just in case i had malware on my pc. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Online gaming is my main hobby and i am losing my mind trying to get to the bottom of it.

I would be so grateful for some advice, Thanks for reading i know its a lot. I will answer any questions if it will help you help me. Cheers, Lewis

Solution
You could have something in your house that has malware on it and is attacking other devices. All it takes is for you to have file sharing enabled and for you to open a file on a another machine or for some machine to put a file on your machine.

You could try one of the standard malware things like malwarebytes but the best option is to format the machine and reinstall. I would set the firewall options to "public" network. This will prevent most communication between other devices in your house.

You also have to be extremely careful about the web sites you visit and anything you download and install. I tend to dislike mcafee the windows default firewall and virus protection seem to work as good without all the false messages...
You could have something in your house that has malware on it and is attacking other devices. All it takes is for you to have file sharing enabled and for you to open a file on a another machine or for some machine to put a file on your machine.

You could try one of the standard malware things like malwarebytes but the best option is to format the machine and reinstall. I would set the firewall options to "public" network. This will prevent most communication between other devices in your house.

You also have to be extremely careful about the web sites you visit and anything you download and install. I tend to dislike mcafee the windows default firewall and virus protection seem to work as good without all the false messages and the constant nag to give mcafee more money.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Aug 24, 2021

You also have to be extremely careful about the web sites you visit and anything you download and install. I tend to dislike mcafee the windows default firewall and virus protection seem to work as good without all the false messages and the constant nag to give mcafee more money.
First of all thanks for getting back to me. So in my house we only have our phones, tvs, chromecast and the google mini connected other than my pc. Can these things even get malware on them? It only ever goes off when my pc is connected. Im pretty sure my PC is on public already but i will check when i get home.

What do you mean by format and reinstall the machine? Thanks again

Not very common those devices are pretty stupid. They can get malware but it is unlikely they spread it to other devices.

Malware is almost always hidden in something you intentionally download and install. Your virus and malware protection software can't always catch this since they don't know if you intentionally did it or not. Many of the anticheat things in games would be flagged as malware because of how they function.

Unless you have lots of software that requires a lot of effort to reinstall and re configure a format and reinstall is your best option. Copy all your actual data files and things like photo to a USB driver and scan it for malware and virus. Files that can't be executed seldom have any issues so it will be safe to copy back after.

Otherwise try to run full scans with macafee and then download malwarebytes and run that also as a second check.

If your machine is sending lots of traffic out you should be able to see this on the network tab of the resource monitor. You should be able to see which process is doing it and where the data is being sent to. Malware and virus will make it appear to be coming from common windows apps so other than seeing lots of strange traffic there is no way to tell for sure just using this method. To crash a router it has to be a huge amount of traffic so you should see something...but that still does not help you fix it.

Aug 24, 2021
Not very common those devices are pretty stupid. They can get malware but it is unlikely they spread it to other devices.

Malware is almost always hidden in something you intentionally download and install. Your virus and malware protection software can't always catch this since they don't know if you intentionally did it or not. Many of the anticheat things in games would be flagged as malware because of how they function.

Unless you have lots of software that requires a lot of effort to reinstall and re configure a format and reinstall is your best option. Copy all your actual data files and things like photo to a USB driver and scan it for malware and virus. Files that can't be executed seldom have any issues so it will be safe to copy back after.

Otherwise try to run full scans with macafee and then download malwarebytes and run that also as a second check.

If your machine is sending lots of traffic out you should be able to see this on the network tab of the resource monitor. You should be able to see which process is doing it and where the data is being sent to. Malware and virus will make it appear to be coming from common windows apps so other than seeing lots of strange traffic there is no way to tell for sure just using this method. To crash a router it has to be a huge amount of traffic so you should see something...but that still does not help you fix it.
Alright ill do that when i get home, i have done a reset on my pc in the past few weeks but it was just on the C:: windows drive and not my extra memory devices. So i will try and clear out all those drives. Thanks very much for your advice and ill let you know how it goes! Lewis

Aug 24, 2021
Alright ill do that when i get home, i have done a reset on my pc in the past few weeks but it was just on the C:: windows drive and not my extra memory devices. So i will try and clear out all those drives. Thanks very much for your advice and ill let you know how it goes! Lewis
So I have wiped and reformatted my two extra hardrives, but I didn’t do my main windows c drive. I just factory reset it assuming this would do the same? But I managed to install my games and discord again but when I played a game it made the router do a reset again.
I am not sure that I even had malware but do I need to do a proper reformat on my C windows drive? If I do will it all reinstall properly easy enough? I’m not good at this stuff.
Thanks, Lewis

Aug 24, 2021
Maybe load wireshark on your machine. See if you are getting a lot of traffic even when you are not really doing much on the machine. It should take a huge amount of traffic to actually crash a router.
Yeah so i got wire shark installed and i dont really know what im looking at, but i cant even read the things that are scrolling up. Seems like i have a lot of traffic. I assume this has to do with malware in my system? The only thing i didnt totally clean out for sure on my pc is my windows C: driver. Would you recommend me doing the delete and reformat on that folder? Thanks for getting to me so late!

Try to go into the resource monitor on the network tab and see if you can match any of the traffic you see in wireshark to some process that is running. Maybe you get lucky and it is just some program you forgot you installed.

It is very strange that virus and malware scans do not pick this up. Many times they will detect it even if they can't fix it.

I thought you already formed the C: drive and reinstalled windows. That tends to be the last thing you try but it almost has to fix it since you only have windows running on the box and nothing else. As you install other software if the problem comes back you at least know what causes it.

Aug 24, 2021
thought you already for
Try to go into the resource monitor on the network tab and see if you can match any of the traffic you see in wireshark to some process that is running. Maybe you get lucky and it is just some program you forgot you installed.

It is very strange that virus and malware scans do not pick this up. Many times they will detect it even if they can't fix it.

I thought you already formed the C: drive and reinstalled windows. That tends to be the last thing you try but it almost has to fix it since you only have windows running on the box and nothing else. As you install other software if the problem comes back you at least know what causes it.
I never actually formed the C: drive i just did my external hard drives and reset my PC thinking it would do it all. If i wipe the C: drive, how will i reinstall windows if i wipe the C: drive? I also ran glasswire to see what files are popping up. When my internet crashed the file "NT Kernel & System" came up exactly the same time as my the internet crash. Coincidence? I will wipe the C: drive if i know i can easily get windows back! Thanks again for the fast reply.

Go to microsoft site and download a install image. Follow the instructions to put it on a USB stick.

Pretty much after after that you just boot the machine and windows will install. If you have not already tried this you could first try to tell windows to install over the top of the c drive without wiping. It will replace just the windows files leaving all the other files alone. You still must reinstall any applications but the data they use is still on the drive.

It will ask you for your license when you do this. There might be a sticker on your machine with this. In most cases you can just ignore it and windows will just figure out based on the motherboard and cpu serial numbers when you are just reinstalling. For now microsoft does not actually enforce their license stuff but it would be best to have this correct if they ever decide to.

Aug 24, 2021
So i tried the install over the c drive and then scanned it with malwarebytes and mcafee. They have both said that all the files are safe and clear. However the problem is still persisting when i go online and play games or talk on discord. Is there any other reason as to why this could happen? I am slowly losing faith that this is ever gonna be fixed. Again the router seems to lose internet connection and reset itself, coming back on in a couple minutes. I havent fully reinstalled Windows but im finding it hard to believe anything is actually on my files causing problems. Thanks , Lewis

Sep 16, 2021
Do you have any other suggestions? Im sorry to ask but i really dont know what else to try. Thanks
Hey, so if I’ve read this correctly, the only device in house having this issue is your PC, and it’s hardwired via Ethernet to hub. If so, then it sounds like your BT access controls have for some reason been activated. This is normally something that people set up via the hub manager, so they can set their kids devices to go off for homework time or whatever. So, I’d recommend checking that out. Paste into a web browser 192.168.1.254 which should open BT hub manage. Select advanced setting, and then BT access control. You’ll need to enter the admin password which is on back of hub. Toggle the setting to off, then save. I always recommend switching off the ‘Smart setup’ option as well.
If that setting was already ‘off’, then log into your MyBT (desktop generally better than their app.) Go to My Products, Broadband, Manage extras and check the parental controls settings.
Failing that, it could be worth removing your firewall/antivirus software, and then downloading the Mcafee that comes included with your broadband (log into MyBT again to get that).
You mentioned the router completely resets itself, but it can’t be physically rebooting if it’s only your device that is affected? Would be handy to know if the hub lights change colour when this happens, but I doubt they do, if all other devices stay connected. You said you have fibre broadband, is that FTTC or FTTP?

Aug 24, 2021
Hey, so if I’ve read this correctly, the only device in house having this issue is your PC, and it’s hardwired via Ethernet to hub. If so, then it sounds like your BT access controls have for some reason been activated. This is normally something that people set up via the hub manager, so they can set their kids devices to go off for homework time or whatever. So, I’d recommend checking that out. Paste into a web browser 192.168.1.254 which should open BT hub manage. Select advanced setting, and then BT access control. You’ll need to enter the admin password which is on back of hub. Toggle the setting to off, then save. I always recommend switching off the ‘Smart setup’ option as well.
If that setting was already ‘off’, then log into your MyBT (desktop generally better than their app.) Go to My Products, Broadband, Manage extras and check the parental controls settings.
Failing that, it could be worth removing your firewall/antivirus software, and then downloading the Mcafee that comes included with your broadband (log into MyBT again to get that).
You mentioned the router completely resets itself, but it can’t be physically rebooting if it’s only your device that is affected? Would be handy to know if the hub lights change colour when this happens, but I doubt they do, if all other devices stay connected. You said you have fibre broadband, is that FTTC or FTTP?
Hi Liz I didn’t expect to see any more comments on the forum so thanks for getting in touch, so I have been through the smart hub manager many times and on my end as far as I can tell access control at my end it totally turned off. I have been in a battle with BT for 14 weeks now and and just yesterday I decided to cut my losses and try a different provider called grain that use there own lines and fibre network. BT has admitted that it’s most likely a software issue at there end as the access control could be seen applied to my account at there end. They have tried to turn it off at there end and even went as far as cutting the line and resending it.
All of this has been a waste of time as the problem still persists.
On the smart hub 1+2 routers which I have had I get a pop up saying “the smart hub has initiated a time pause on this device”. This tends to happen when I am on discord or on an online game.
when I had non BT routers plugged in they just <Mod Edit> themselves and reboot. I believe it’s the same issue but it’s just reaction differently as they are different routers.
The strange thing is it only happens when I am on my pc, so i tried swapping PCs with my friend for a few days and his pc caused the same problem. My pc at his house on virgin was totally fine. It’s like doing things online with other people whether it be a call or playing a game together causes it to crash.
Now another thing to note is my friends pc went back to his house and was absolutely full of malware. To the point where it wouldn’t even stay on long enough to be factory reset. It was 10 years old but it still should have been able to turn on.
My pc has been hard reset and has windows 10 reinstalled on it so I’m pretty confident no malware exists on my pc. It isn’t slow in any way and on the usage page nothing is particularly high.
I’m 90% sure it’s something wrong with BT as a provider as it’s the only thing that hasn’t been changed and my pc worked totally fine when I was with Sky in my old house. They have owned up and said they would refund me all my money and let me out the contract. I am in the process of moving to grain networks and it’s going to take 2-4 weeks for them to get the line to my house but I’m hopeful for it working and getting out of this hell of a problem.
I do have Fibre to property as it is. If the problem still persists after I change provider I will be very disheartened so any help would be appreciated it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 16, 2021
Hi Liz I didn’t expect to see any more comments on the forum so thanks for getting in touch, so I have been through the smart hub manager many times and on my end as far as I can tell access control at my end it totally turned off. I have been in a battle with BT for 14 weeks now and and just yesterday I decided to cut my losses and try a different provider called grain that use there own lines and fibre network. BT has admitted that it’s most likely a software issue at there end as the access control could be seen applied to my account at there end. They have tried to turn it off at there end and even went as far as cutting the line and resending it.
All of this has been a waste of time as the problem still persists.
On the smart hub 1+2 routers which I have had I get a pop up saying “the smart hub has initiated a time pause on this device”. This tends to happen when I am on discord or on an online game.
when I had non BT routers plugged in they just <Mod Edit> themselves and reboot. I believe it’s the same issue but it’s just reaction differently as they are different routers.
The strange thing is it only happens when I am on my pc, so i tried swapping PCs with my friend for a few days and his pc caused the same problem. My pc at his house on virgin was totally fine. It’s like doing things online with other people whether it be a call or playing a game together causes it to crash.
Now another thing to note is my friends pc went back to his house and was absolutely full of malware. To the point where it wouldn’t even stay on long enough to be factory reset. It was 10 years old but it still should have been able to turn on.
My pc has been hard reset and has windows 10 reinstalled on it so I’m pretty confident no malware exists on my pc. It isn’t slow in any way and on the usage page nothing is particularly high.
I’m 90% sure it’s something wrong with BT as a provider as it’s the only thing that hasn’t been changed and my pc worked totally fine when I was with Sky in my old house. They have owned up and said they would refund me all my money and let me out the contract. I am in the process of moving to grain networks and it’s going to take 2-4 weeks for them to get the line to my house but I’m hopeful for it working and getting out of this hell of a problem.
I do have Fibre to property as it is. If the problem still persists after I change provider I will be very disheartened so any help would be appreciated it.

Having to battle with BT sucks 💀 at least they’re refunding you though. Sounds like you’ve tried everything you possibly, could, changing router, Ethernet and even a different PC…Did anyone at BT talk you through a ONT reset/power cycle? Sounds to me the issue must surely be there. I’d remove the ONT power cable (normally white cable first left hand side), wait 20secs, whilst waiting factory reset hub. Then plug power cable back in. That is generally the fix for things like this….last year there was chaos with people trying to watch BT Sport and getting the ‘check your internet connection’ message….eventually it transpired that Huawei had done a security update to their ONTs, and for some reason it caused that issue. Once Huawei & Openreach finished patch testing etc, a quick ONT reset solved the issue. That said, the fact that your access controls were showing as active at BTs end (hoping I read that right?!) points to it being a date integrity issue. The call handlers should be raising a bridge case for the back end team to clear. I’m sorry I’m a bit late in the day lol, but you’ve got a good case for further comp from BT, if you email/write to them even after leaving. Fingers crossed your new supplier cracks the case!

Aug 24, 2021
So update, the new supplier has not fixed my internet. When i go into a discord call or play an online game the exact same issue occurs. I am very disheartened at this point and have no idea what to try. The only thing i can can think of is my friends pc was full of malware after being at my house. My PC seems to be running perfectly fine and i have done countless malware checks on it after fully reinstating my hard drives. I find it hard to believe my pc has malware on it to cause this problem. To go over the problem again, my router seems to crash and reset when im doing online things. Its far worse on voice calls and online gaming, it cuts out within 5 minutes of doing one of these things and it comes back on again after resetting itself. The problem happens when im wired or wireless. I have surge protection at both ends and when my pc is not on, it never goes off. I dont know why me doing something on my pc would cause a router to crash and reset. Do routers have a safety thing where if it feels like its under attack of something it will just shut down? Is it a case of something trying to access my pc and the router cuts out to protect it. I am at a loss, this problem has been going on for 14 weeks now. If you have any suggestions Liz i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Sep 16, 2021
So update, the new supplier has not fixed my internet. When i go into a discord call or play an online game the exact same issue occurs. I am very disheartened at this point and have no idea what to try. The only thing i can can think of is my friends pc was full of malware after being at my house. My PC seems to be running perfectly fine and i have done countless malware checks on it after fully reinstating my hard drives. I find it hard to believe my pc has malware on it to cause this problem. To go over the problem again, my router seems to crash and reset when im doing online things. Its far worse on voice calls and online gaming, it cuts out within 5 minutes of doing one of these things and it comes back on again after resetting itself. The problem happens when im wired or wireless. I have surge protection at both ends and when my pc is not on, it never goes off. I dont know why me doing something on my pc would cause a router to crash and reset. Do routers have a safety thing where if it feels like its under attack of something it will just shut down? Is it a case of something trying to access my pc and the router cuts out to protect it. I am at a loss, this problem has been going on for 14 weeks now. If you have any suggestions Liz i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Mate what a nightmare! Sorry to hear new provider hasn’t sorted the issue. What company is it? When you’re on discord, are you accessing it via the app, or website version? To my knowledge, routers only reboot themselves when they’ve physically lost connection to the outside network. It doesn’t sound as though there’s a fault like that though, as other devices keep connection? And if the router lights stay blue/whatever colour they normally show, then its maintaining the connection, just kicking the PC off for some reason. And I think this has to be coming from the PCs end. If the router is physically restarting itself each time, then the service provider would be able to see those sync drops. Since all this started, has it been around the same times of day? Or does it happen whenever? Full fibre rarely drops sync like the old lines do, but it can happen, and lagging etc can be due to overcrowding of the network, ie everyone living near you doing <Mod Edit> online @ same time. They call this a hot VLAN, and is something Openreach sort by connecting your line to another port.
Sorry if you’ve tried these things already, but these are the only things I can think of atm:
If you’re using Discord via app, then exit it and go in through their website. See if that makes any difference. Or, if you’re using Windows 10, then you should be able to access troubleshooting via the discord app - this will scan and check for issues.
If you’re using a VPN, then disable it.
Could also be a bandwidth issue. Check for stuff running in background on PC. And although it’s a ballache, try a test whereby you disconnect all other devices in house, so that only PC is connected to router. Sonos speakers and SkyQ are really greedy when it comes to bandwidth, if you have those in house.
Try whitelisting discord in your firewall. To do this, open Control Panel, and go to ‘Systems and Security’ > ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ > ‘Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall’. Click on ‘Change settings’. Make sure Discord is present in the list. If it isn’t, click on ‘Allow another app’ and add Discord from its source folder. Make sure both the ‘Private’ and ‘Public’ options are checked. Click ok.
Flush your DNS cache and reset your IP setting..
Try using a different browser
Have only single network adapter enabled. If you use wifi, then disable ethernet adapter. When you use ethernet, then disable wifi adapter.

Again, apologies if I’m going over old ground here. But I hope you get there!

Sep 16, 2021
My IT support @ work just told me there is a setting that discord have admitted causes issues with some network/providers. Apparently some routers just don’t like having Discord prioritize its packets over the rest of the network traffic.

Instructions are thus:
In discord app, navigate to “Voice & Video” under the “App Settings” section. Scroll down part way to find “Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority.” Toggle this setting off, and then you can close settings menu to save changes.

Aug 24, 2021
So on my new connection i have 700mbs download, its full fibre and the company is called Grain connect. This company have there own network with new lines and everything, it has nothing to do with BT as far as i know. The router only ever resets itself when im on my pc doing online things, my partner stays at home all day with our new baby and it never goes off for her. After switching providers im pretty confident whatever the problem is, it isnt a provider thing. I dont see how it could be! I will try everything you have said but i have tried it all before. Its not only when im on discord though it can do it while im on youtube or anything. Can happen at anytime when my pc is turned on.
This originally started out as a "Access control" problem with BT, I would get a pop up saying internet to this device has been paused. I noticed that these pauses were happening in the logs of the router. When my pc wasnt even turned on. Can someone try and access my pc through the internet without my permission. If this was a thing can a router failsafe to protect my device? But in doing that it reboots? I have no idea about any of this stuff which is why im so frustrated over it. Its my main hobby and its awful not being able to do it. We have a google mini that we talk to, to control the TV and to play music downstairs. But i cant see how that would cause a problem like this when its only my wired pc seemingly killing the router.
I access discord through the app but its not just discord that causes this problem its just the thing that causes it to happen the quickest.
As far as the firewall goes im using Mcafee which is what i pay for as an antivirus and firewall. And i have just the one adapter enabled, that being my wired one. I have had mcafee since ive had this PC and on sky network at my old house it never caused me any issues.
I will continue to try things but at this point do i just need to try another pc and hope it works? This one i have was £1800 and it a top end gaming one, i would hate for it to have to go waste.
Thanks so much for your help and time so far though, means a lot!

Aug 24, 2021
My IT support @ work just told me there is a setting that discord have admitted causes issues with some network/providers. Apparently some routers just don’t like having Discord prioritize its packets over the rest of the network traffic.

Instructions are thus:
In discord app, navigate to “Voice & Video” under the “App Settings” section. Scroll down part way to find “Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority.” Toggle this setting off, and then you can close settings menu to save changes.
I have just checked this and this is already off! But thanks for ruling one more thing out <3

Sep 16, 2021
So on my new connection i have 700mbs download, its full fibre and the company is called Grain connect. This company have there own network with new lines and everything, it has nothing to do with BT as far as i know. The router only ever resets itself when im on my pc doing online things, my partner stays at home all day with our new baby and it never goes off for her. After switching providers im pretty confident whatever the problem is, it isnt a provider thing. I dont see how it could be! I will try everything you have said but i have tried it all before. Its not only when im on discord though it can do it while im on youtube or anything. Can happen at anytime when my pc is turned on.
This originally started out as a "Access control" problem with BT, I would get a pop up saying internet to this device has been paused. I noticed that these pauses were happening in the logs of the router. When my pc wasnt even turned on. Can someone try and access my pc through the internet without my permission. If this was a thing can a router failsafe to protect my device? But in doing that it reboots? I have no idea about any of this stuff which is why im so frustrated over it. Its my main hobby and its awful not being able to do it. We have a google mini that we talk to, to control the TV and to play music downstairs. But i cant see how that would cause a problem like this when its only my wired pc seemingly killing the router.
I access discord through the app but its not just discord that causes this problem its just the thing that causes it to happen the quickest.
As far as the firewall goes im using Mcafee which is what i pay for as an antivirus and firewall. And i have just the one adapter enabled, that being my wired one. I have had mcafee since ive had this PC and on sky network at my old house it never caused me any issues.
I will continue to try things but at this point do i just need to try another pc and hope it works? This one i have was £1800 and it a top end gaming one, i would hate for it to have to go waste.

Don’t suppose

No worries, these things are so aggravating, not least the money spent on your side - and it would be <Mod Edit> to fork out for a new PC! Ok, so I’m wondering what the wiring setup is - you mentioned this is a new house you’ve moved into, is it a new build, and if so, does it have data ports throughout the place, and that’s what you’re using? Or do you have a Ethernet cable trailing from PC to router. Hope that makes sense! I’m wondering if that could be causing this somehow….it can’t be a faulty port on the router as you’ve got a new one…and I doubt it’s your PCs port that’s faulty , as your mates PC was affected as well. So it could be the internal wiring in house, if you’re Using those data ports in wall…or even the cable was a bit of a dud?

Aug 24, 2021
Don’t suppose

No worries, these things are so aggravating, not least the money spent on your side - and it would be <Mod Edit> to fork out for a new PC! Ok, so I’m wondering what the wiring setup is - you mentioned this is a new house you’ve moved into, is it a new build, and if so, does it have data ports throughout the place, and that’s what you’re using? Or do you have a Ethernet cable trailing from PC to router. Hope that makes sense! I’m wondering if that could be causing this somehow….it can’t be a faulty port on the router as you’ve got a new one…and I doubt it’s your PCs port that’s faulty , as your mates PC was affected as well. So it could be the internal wiring in house, if you’re Using those data ports in wall…or even the cable was a bit of a dud?
So my set up originally was on the powerline adapters, then the problem started so I ran an Ethernet cable through my house. So I just have a cat6 through to my pc. The problem also happens when im on my wireless connection. A thing to note it i m sure it happened when I was connected to a 4g dongle as well so it seems like the problem isn’t a hardware issue. I just don’t get how on any type of internet connection my PC manages to knock out whatever is supplying my internet, it also knocked off the wifi of the 4g dongle for a couple minutes after being in a discord call.
I only tested the dongle once but it seemed the same. So surely it’s not how I’m getting internet that is the problem? Any other ideas that I could try? 🤔
I feel like I need to totally wipe my computer and try a windows install from a spare hard drive to make sure no malware has survived doing the reinstall from the same device. That’s the only thing I can think off.

Aug 24, 2021
So my set up originally was on the powerline adapters, then the problem started so I ran an Ethernet cable through my house. So I just have a cat6 through to my pc. The problem also happens when im on my wireless connection. A thing to note it i m sure it happened when I was connected to a 4g dongle as well so it seems like the problem isn’t a hardware issue. I just don’t get how on any type of internet connection my PC manages to knock out whatever is supplying my internet, it also knocked off the wifi of the 4g dongle for a couple minutes after being in a discord call.
I only tested the dongle once but it seemed the same. So surely it’s not how I’m getting internet that is the problem? Any other ideas that I could try? 🤔
I feel like I need to totally wipe my computer and try a windows install from a spare hard drive to make sure no malware has survived doing the reinstall from the same device. That’s the only thing I can think off.
Don’t suppose

So Liz, I have swapped pc again with my brother this time. I have a gaming laptop at mine and this laptop is doing the exact same thing. My pc at my brothers has worked perfectly fine for 2 days.
I am very unsure on what to do now, the way I see it it doesn’t matter what pc or laptop or whatever is plugged in. When I try and do something on my computer it reboots the router. Everything that I can change inside my house has been changed, I’m pretty certain it’s not a power fault or anything like that as it works perfectly fine when I’m out and it’s just my partner.
I have a whole new provider that is separate from BT, the whole infrastructure is its own.
I for the life of me don’t know why this is happening, they only thing that I haven’t changed and I can’t Is my location. Moving out just isn’t an option.
I’m just so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.