Question My PC shuts "off" after boot up!

May 20, 2019
My PC shuts off I mean it suddenly goes to "off" state it doesnt even show the shutting down screen. It turns off like power is cut even though there is no prblm with power. Idk if it is a software or hardware problem.It crashes after 2min in the first startup and then the time goes on decreasing . then it never even goes to bios until I leave it for a day or so. I don't think it is a heating issue. And its not a PSU failure too because I tested it with another working PSU.and my motherboard also went to a service for the same issue and I received it today and I have the same prblm again. I am really not happy with their repair so I came up here. Somebody please help me! I can't live without my PC.

May 20, 2019
Why would you put another PSU and say the one you have is working???
THIS IS GENERALLY CAUSED BY OVERHEATING.
Like when I tested it with another PSU (new) the same issue occurred so I assumed tht there is no problem with my PSU.and my PC doesnt overheat I checked it myself. And this is the third time it is happening actually. When it occurred the first time I tried so many times and left it for a day. I didn't on it at all. Then it became alright for like a month and again same thing happened and I was frustrated and called the service guy and he took my motherboard for 15 days and today again the same prblm!!!!!!

May 20, 2019
How did your check your PC doesn't overheat.
I opened my cabinet and touched all the suspected parts and also I kept the CPU fan speed to high in the very lil time available. One more thing my service guy had kept it on (in his place)for hours and nothing happened ( he didnt have my cabinet he had my motherboard ,ssd , ram,CPU) it was on the whole time acc to him but as soon as he kept it in my cabinet and connected to my PSU and my stuff it had the same issue of suddenly crashing. And also it was the only way I could check if it was overheating because my PC doesnt give me much time to install a new software tht checks the temperature and stuff and run it...it crashes before tht. And once and only once I got a bsod.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
Touching the parts to tell if they are hot is meaningless. When is the last time to cleaned the case vents and fans and make sure the case fans are running.
Yeah ik tht is not the right method but I dont have any other option as I mentioned above my PC will crash before I install a software to check the temp... And luckily sometimes when I get into BIOS the CPU temp will be around 45 deg celcius. And I regularly clean my cabinet so there is no dust and also all the fans are running perfectly! I cant even think what the problem is!

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you have standoof under board in the case and made sure no wire is cut or bare and touch the case also on the gpu connector see if the outside shell does made contact with case that will made a ground and all parts are well seated on board slot gpu ram and others like sata cable .

May 20, 2019
you have standoof under board in the case and made sure no wire is cut or bare and touch the case also on the gpu connector see if the outside shell does made contact with case that will made a ground and all parts are well seated on board slot gpu ram and others like sata cable .
I checked it and no wire or anything was making any contact with the case.

May 20, 2019
Today one strange thing happened. When I ran my PC for the first couple of times today the same issue occurred but all of a sudden once it stayed normal (without shutting off) for 30 mins!! ( otherwise it will be on for only about a min or so) I was happy and i I thought my PC became alright but no! After 30 min it again shut off. After this the problem continued.
Idk who is controlling my PC??? How can such a thing happen? Iam so frustrated!!!

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I second what Kerangovender suggested, but I'll take it a step further: move your PC to another outlet if possible and see if that does anything. Ideally, you don't want your PC plugged into an outlet on the same run as something heavy, such as an HVAC unit. Also, do you have your PC connected to a surge protector or is plugged straight into the wall? I'm assuming it's not connected to an UPS based on your original post.

You can test an outlet with a Multi Meter, though admittedly I'm not entirely comfortable doing that myself. I'm not an expert in electrical systems, but I'm not a complete rube, either.
A better, safer alternative would be to purchase a Kill-A-Watt meter, which will not only show you the voltage & current, but also how many Watts your PC uses (this is less important but good to know). You can get one on Amazon here for less than $20 US dollars.

May 20, 2019
I second what Kerangovender suggested, but I'll take it a step further: move your PC to another outlet if possible and see if that does anything. Ideally, you don't want your PC plugged into an outlet on the same run as something heavy, such as an HVAC unit. Also, do you have your PC connected to a surge protector or is plugged straight into the wall? I'm assuming it's not connected to an UPS based on your original post.

You can test an outlet with a Multi Meter, though admittedly I'm not entirely comfortable doing that myself. I'm not an expert in electrical systems, but I'm not a complete rube, either.
A better, safer alternative would be to purchase a Kill-A-Watt meter, which will not only show you the voltage & current, but also how many Watts your PC uses (this is less important but good to know). You can get one on Amazon here for less than $20 US dollars.
Yea I tried plugging it into another outlet too and still it didnt work maybe there is a fault in the power supply to my entire house but if it was so then all these years( until last month )my PC ran perfectly without any complaint. But still I am going to run the tests you and kerangovender said . and my PC is connected a ups. It sometimes gives tht clicking sound rapidly idk why.

Your UPS should preclude any voltage issues from the wall plug. However try running your computer without the UPS using just a surge protecor to rule out a faulty UPS. Your MB also has onboard graphics, you should try removing your GPU card and use the onboard graphics to test if your GPU is the problem.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018
Going through the same problem. My pc shuts down after i install windows 10 it works fine for sometime but then shuts down and goes to repair mode and from that it shuts down again..
i am tired.

Going through the same problem. My pc shuts down after i install windows 10 it works fine for sometime but then shuts down and goes to repair mode and from that it shuts down again..
i am tired.
Best to start a new question as your problem, while similar may be different. For now, it sounds like your computer is over heating. I would check the inside of your computer case is clean including all the vents, power supply intake and fans; the a amount of dust they accumulate is extraordinary.