My PC smells burnt ocasionally

May 5, 2018
As it is said in the title, on ocasions my pc smells burnt and i don't know what the problem is. I am not sure from where the smell comes. I have tried checking up reasons as to why this is but couldn't find anything helpful except that i should check for swelling/bulging capacitors. I guess that all the capicators should be the same size but I have three or four that are bigger on the motherboard. I can use the pc as normal though. What should I do now?

SPECS:

CPU: Intel core i5-4690K

Installed RAM: 12 GB

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-P, Socket-1150

Power supply: Cooler Master B500 VER.2, 500W PSU

Solution
I would ask that you change the PSU to a higher quality unit. In spite of having different sized capacitors on your board, you should look for signs of any leaks or streak across the motherboard where the caps are soldered onto the board. If you see white streaks, then it's a sign that your boards caps are leaking their electrolytes. You should also inspect your board for signs of dampness.

Humidity can also cause the issue you're speaking of.

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask that you change the PSU to a higher quality unit. In spite of having different sized capacitors on your board, you should look for signs of any leaks or streak across the motherboard where the caps are soldered onto the board. If you see white streaks, then it's a sign that your boards caps are leaking their electrolytes. You should also inspect your board for signs of dampness.

Humidity can also cause the issue you're speaking of.

Solution