[SOLVED] my pc stopped working suddenly

Sep 28, 2019
my pc was working fine i switched off went out when i came back tried to boot up id didnt respond at all i checked psu it was running then later on when i opened everything to clean i found this weird burned type mark on motherboard near the ram slot i think it short circuited i just want to make sure that the reason so i can buy new motherboard without wasting money...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPN6KiEb8sdoVuKS6

also is it wise to buy a used mother board i am on a budget....

i have Pentium g4560
and gigabyte H110M-S2 motherboard

Solution

1 - If your motherboard short-circuited (I don't know enough to look at your pic and confirm that it did), it may be possible that other components also short-circuited ? So, this would represent a bigger problem and necessitate purchasing more than just a mobo. Do you have a friend whose computer you can use to test your other parts to make sure they work ? Of course, his motherboard would have to be compatible with your parts.

Before buying anything (and potentially wasting money), I would try to identify the problem parts by testing all parts to see which work and which don't work.

2 - I would never buy a mobo...

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019

1 - If your motherboard short-circuited (I don't know enough to look at your pic and confirm that it did), it may be possible that other components also short-circuited ? So, this would represent a bigger problem and necessitate purchasing more than just a mobo. Do you have a friend whose computer you can use to test your other parts to make sure they work ? Of course, his motherboard would have to be compatible with your parts.

Before buying anything (and potentially wasting money), I would try to identify the problem parts by testing all parts to see which work and which don't work.

2 - I would never buy a mobo used. A mobo has multiple connections to literally every component on your PC, and buying a used one would need a lot of testing to ensure that every single connection works as intended (or at least the connections you will be using in your PC). You have no idea how the previous owner has treated it or his reasons for selling it. The used mobo could work today or for the next 2 months and then die. And you get no warranties or returns. So, buying used could be a much larger gamble and result in a much larger expenditure if your used one dies (or just doesn't work) and then you have to go buy another one.

3 - I don't know if your motherboard is too old to even find anymore (maybe on eBay ?). Even if you do find it, will you be able to find all the necessary drivers for it ? Not sure how long motherboard manufacturers keep old drivers around on their websites.

Sorry, I don't know a good solution without knowing more details (like your max budget). But definitely consider the above points ^.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS