Question My pc suddenly crahsed, now it doesn't start

May 8, 2022
Hello,
Today I was playing Disco Elysium, then my pc suddenly crashed. It doesn't open anymore. When I press the power button, there is a click sound coming from psu like it's trying to open, nothing more. Components are taking power from the psu, including my gtx970 (the light is on). When I unplug the gpu, my pc starts like normal, fans are spinning, but I don't have integrated graphics or another gpu to test if it works properly. So I'm pretty sure it's gpu related, I was using this gpu for like 2 years, bought it from my friend. It was running smoothly without any problem until today. I didn't updated any drivers recently. Can gpu's die like that suddenly without any problem before? I'm not able to afford a new gpu, so can you guys help me with if there is something I can do? Is it fixable?
I'd be glad if you guys suggest your ideas. Thank you.
Specs:
Asus strix gtx 970
MSI b450 tomahawk max
Corsair RM650 Gold PSU
Ryzen 5 3600
16 gb gskill

May 8, 2022
At this point it's kinda 50/50 that it's the gpu or psu. Can you try your gpu in another system?
(and yes, a gpu can die a sudden death)
I tried it on my old pc which has amd fx and xigmatek 500w psu on it, but sadly it is dead too. Probably cpu related. It doesn't have integrated gpu. Cpu fan spins for 1 sec on that pc then nothing happens. But when I plug gtx 970 on it, cpu fan doesn't even try to spin. And there is a one "click" sound coming from psu like it's trying to open. Same as my newer pc.

Hi Earthless. Just to be clear, your GPU doesn't produce an image in neither your newer PC nor the older one? And the older PC is definitely in working condition and has produced an image with a GPU installed before? The CPU fan on the older computer spins for one second and then stops spinning, even though there is no GPU installed? Are you certain your older computer is in working order, because it doesn't sound like it based on that description. That being said, if an entirely different PSU produces a click sound only with the presence of the same GPU, then I suppose your assumption is correct. It's interesting because at the start of reading your problem description, I began with the assumption that your PSU was the culprit.

May 8, 2022
Hi Earthless. Just to be clear, your GPU doesn't produce an image in neither your newer PC nor the older one? And the older PC is definitely in working condition and has produced an image with a GPU installed before? The CPU fan on the older computer spins for one second and then stops spinning, even though there is no GPU installed? Are you certain your older computer is in working order, because it doesn't sound like it based on that description. That being said, if an entirely different PSU produces a click sound only with the presence of the same GPU, then I suppose your assumption is correct. It's interesting because at the start of reading your problem description, I began with the assumption that your PSU was the culprit.
Thank you for your answer. My older pc is dead I believe, because it was working before with this gtx970. But it was also working without any gpu, the fans were spinning at least. No image ofc. But now, when I turn it on without any gpu, cpu fan spins for one second then stops. But with gtx970, it doesn't even spin. For me it looks like a psu protection or something preventing gpu to turn on, on my both pc's. Just an idea.
On my new pc, without the gpu fans are spinning, all the leds are on. With gpu, there is also no leds, nothing happens when I press the power button. Just that click sound, same as older pc.

Here is the response that I was initially going to give you, but I thought it was better to ask my previous question beforehand.

Hi Earthless. While you're troubleshooting this issue, I highly recommend that you begin the Corsair RMA process immediately (link below).

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Question: When is the last time that you upgraded or changed any component or configuration in this computer?

Question: Do you have a local friend (driving distance) whose computer you can test your GPU in? If not, is their a Micro Center within driving distance? If so, they can probably check your GPU, or perhaps even your entire PC.

Action: Could you do me a favor and unplug the power cable from the back of the power supply, then hold the PC's power button for ten seconds (to discharge it), then plug the power back in and tap the power button to turn on. Any change? Also, I would unplug / re-plug the GPU's PCIe cables (both the GPU and the PSU ends) and also the motherboard cables (specifically the 8 pin on both motherboard and PSU ends).

Question: Is the used power supply in this Ebay listing the exact same model that you have? If so, is it worth you buying it as another troubleshooting step? US $52.99 including free shipping seems like a reasonable price to me, especially since the seller has a 100% feedback rating. Also, you'd have the convenience of not having to change out your power supply cables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224965413893?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224965413893

May 8, 2022
Here is the response that I was initially going to give you, but I thought it was better to ask my previous question beforehand.

Hi Earthless. While you're troubleshooting this issue, I highly recommend that you begin the Corsair RMA process immediately (link below).

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Question: When is the last time that you upgraded or changed any component or configuration in this computer?

Question: Do you have a local friend (driving distance) whose computer you can test your GPU in? If not, is their a Micro Center within driving distance? If so, they can probably check your GPU, or perhaps even your entire PC.

Action: Could you do me a favor and unplug the power cable from the back of the power supply, then hold the PC's power button for ten seconds (to discharge it), then plug the power back in and tap the power button to turn on. Any change? Also, I would unplug / re-plug the GPU's PCIe cables (both the GPU and the PSU ends) and also the motherboard cables (specifically the 8 pin on both motherboard and PSU ends).

Question: Is the used power supply in this Ebay listing the exact same model that you have? If so, is it worth you buying it as another troubleshooting step? US $52.99 including free shipping seems like a reasonable price to me, especially since the seller has a 100% feedback rating. Also, you'd have the convenience of not having to change out your power supply cables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224965413893?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224965413893
Hi again,
I didn't changed or upgraded anything for about a year. An hour ago my neighbor gave me his old pc case with integrated graphics amd phenom ii cpu on it. but sadly, the psu is only 6 pins. I dont have a conventer.
I sent a ticket to corsair after your suggestion, but I didn't received an answer yet. I saw an article on corsairs website to test psu and I gave it a try. It's a simple test, basicially you unplug everything except 24pin slot of psu, and put a metal string or paperclip between 4 and 5th pins of that slots. After that you power on the psu. Seems like my psu is working fine. Fans are spinning like 3 seconds and then closes because it's zero noise fan. I'm not able to test the gpu but I tested my psu with neighbors pc, and it works perfectly. Gave another shot with my old pc and same thing happened, with gtx970 plugged, my psu doesn't power the pc. Same thing with my older pc. Different mobo, cpu and my new psu: works only without gpu. What I don't understand is; if my gpu is dead, why the whole pc s does not open? They should open but can't see the gpu or something, right?
Note: I tested my neighbors cpu on my mobo too, because they're compatible.No vga on mobo but all fans are spinning and getting louder like its booted with my corsair psu. No luck with gpu.

My mess:
IMG_20220509_232159.md.jpg

Last edited: