Question My pc will not boot when SATA is in use

Mar 20, 2023
Hello! My computer crashed earlier today, it froze and shut itself off, after which it immediately started a loop of rebooting with no end. My first thought was to disconnect everything, including my two SATA HDD's, and leaving only my gpu, ram, m.2 ssd and cpu. The pc booted fine, but as soon as I shut it off and reconnected the SATA drives, it would start rebooting endlessly again. After hours of messing with the cables and the BIOS to no avail, I tested the hdd's on an old pc i own. No errors at all, and all my files were intact. I assumed that to be a windows error on my current pc, so I attempted to reinstall Windows. It however, always restarted when the install was about the finish, making it bug out. After an hour, I tried to unplug a RAM stick, and it installed just fine, no more reboots. However, I had previously ran a memory diagnostic on the ram (with both sticks in use) and no errors were shown, and even then the HDD's still wont work after reinstalling my OS. The pc wont even boot to windows, it just outright reboots itself. Any suggestions would be welcome, though at this point im assuming the MOBO is damaged, and I'll take my pc to a repair shop ASAP, any ideas at all are welcome.
Many thanks in advance! Here are my specs in case they might work.

•CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT

•GPU: Gtx 1660 Super

•RAM: 8GB x2 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

•STORAGE: 1× Seagate 2TB HDD, 1× Seagate 4TB HDD, 1× WD Blue 500GB ssd

•PSU: EVGA 500BQ 80+Bronze

asda333

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2015
Could it be a Motherboard issue such as certain sata ports can't be used or is not active when another sata port is active. will have to check motherboard specs on the sata ports.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Did you run MemTest86+ for several complete cycles on the RAM stick that you removed and then the system worked? Despite your having run a memory test, the fault still sounds like a dodgy DIMM (or possibly a faulty IMC channel).

Check each DIMM on its own with MemTest86+. If you get any errors in MemTest86+, treat that DIMM as potentially bad, disable any XMP overclock and test the RAM again. If it still fails with XMP disabled, chuck the DIMM in the bin.

Of course it is still possible the CPU or mobo are at fault, but you can prove this by testing a single good DIMM in each motherboard memory slot in turn (run at least one full pass of MemTest86+ per slot) and see if there are any differences. It's not unknown for one IMC to fail.