Question My PC won't Boot PLEASE HELP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 14, 2019
So for the 5 months I've had my PC after 7 -8 hour gaming sessions it would turn off I didn't see it as a big deal I would just wait a bit then turn it back on. Yesterday I was playing and then it turned off but this time I smelt smoke I was worried and immediately switched off the socket .Then after a while (as I usually do) I went to turn it back on then there was a slight light or something near the GPU then I smelt the smoke again from the PSU and turned off my PC and ordered a new PSU. Today it came and I installed it but nothing is turning on no lights anywhere , I could swear I smell something when I turn it on but that might just be normal can someone help me out???

Dec 14, 2019

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
By the way the new cpu is an a6 9500
A cpu not supported by probably any motherboard that supports the Ryzen 3600 since bios updates needed so much space that support for these APU's was taken out.
Don't see support for that anyway. Cheapest right now that wil probably work is the Ryzen 1200,but the 2200G will come with an integrated gpu so might be good for testing.

Dec 14, 2019
A cpu not supported by probably any motherboard that supports the Ryzen 3600 since bios updates needed so much space that support for these APU's was taken out.
Don't see support for that anyway. Cheapest right now that wil probably work is the Ryzen 1200,but the 2200G will come with an integrated gpu so might be good for testing.
Turns out the reason nothing would power is because my ram wasnt in properly so things powered on but then when i turn it there is just a consistent buzzing sound any ideas (haven’t gotten bios update yet just wanted to make sure everything else was working)

Dec 14, 2019
I'd install a MB Speaker so you can hear the beep codes to help determine exactly what is causing it not to boot.
Like this PC Motherboard Internal Speaker:
https://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Co...rds=motherboard+buzzer&qid=1576790010&sr=8-10
Turns out the reason nothing would power is because my ram wasnt in properly so things powered on but then when i turn it there is just a consistent buzzing sound any ideas (haven’t gotten bios update yet just wanted to make sure everything else was working)

Buzzing. Hm. Wonder if it's your new power supply. Sometimes you can try to carefully put your ear next to say gpu and psu to try to determine the source of a sound. Can't say I've ever used an aerocool unit before.

Buzzing could also be coil whine. Did it happen with your older power supply? If it was silent then, it could be the new power supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999
Dec 14, 2019
Buzzing. Hm. Wonder if it's your new power supply. Sometimes you can try to carefully put your ear next to say gpu and psu to try to determine the source of a sound. Can't say I've ever used an aerocool unit before.

Buzzing could also be coil whine. Did it happen with your older power supply? If it was silent then, it could be the new power supply.
Ill check it