Question My place has frequent power cut, will it be harmful for SSD?

wabale97

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
My old hhd got some blocks corrupted due to power cuts , about 1 or 2 everyday. I recently added samsung 980 500gb SSD to setup. Will this shorten my SSD life? Data corruption risk I'm aware of and have set up cloud backup for imp data, i want to know about hardware damage.

My old hhd got some blocks corrupted due to power cuts , about 1 or 2 everyday. I recently added samsung 980 500gb SSD to setup. Will this shorten my SSD life? Data corruption risk I'm aware of and have set up cloud backup for imp data, i want to know about hardware damage.

If you keep having power outages and need enough time to shut down your pc safety or run for a short while just get a uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I have frequent power outages too and I've been told on this forum that I shouldn't have to worry about anything, as long as a surge protector is used.
However, there will always be a possibility of files being corrupted due to outages. Should run sfc /scannow in the command prompt from time to time.

The risk with a sudden power loss is that the SSD's internal metadata may not be updated, in which case the firmware may "panic" when power is restored. Some enterprise level SSDs (and HDDs) have extra circuitry for power loss data protection. This usually involves a large bank of backup capacitors.

If the power goes down clean I suppose that won't be too bad for the hardware.

You might end up with some corrupted data.

When the power goes down dirty all bets are off.

Get a ups that will allow time for an orderly shutdown.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm moving to urban area in 3 4 months so not buying UPS for now. I wanted to know if this is no worry or i should invest in UPS.

In the long run you are better of investing in a ups. Ups are designed to provide temporary power to PCs so that you can shut down your computer safely.

Yes they can be expensive but which one is better? Getting data corrupted or getting the time needed to properly shutdown and not lose data?