Question My PSU is making a buzz sound. What could this mean

Sep 2, 2024
I have EVGA GD 700w GOLD PSU and it's making a buzzing sound. Idk if it's from a dusty fan or a coil whine or maybe the fan is hitting something. Pls help.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
How old is this unit? Are you positive the sound is coming from the power supply?

It would be quite unusual for a power supply fan to just suddenly be striking something. If you suspect heavy dust, it may be worthwhile to take the whole PC outside and blow it out. This could be an indication of a power issue off your (utility) supply. I do not recommend actually trying to go inside the power supply since there are capacitors in there that can hurt or even kill you.

I note looking online that the unit has a five-year warranty. If you are certain the unit is making the noise you could try to warranty return and perhaps get a replacement from EVGA.

Sep 2, 2024
How old is this unit? Are you positive the sound is coming from the power supply?

It would be quite unusual for a power supply fan to just suddenly be striking something. If you suspect heavy dust, it may be worthwhile to take the whole PC outside and blow it out. This could be an indication of a power issue off your (utility) supply. I do not recommend actually trying to go inside the power supply since there are capacitors in there that can hurt or even kill you.

I note looking online that the unit has a five-year warranty. If you are certain the unit is making the noise you could try to warranty return and perhaps get a replacement from EVGA.
I'm 70% sure it's from the PSU, oddly enough, I hear the same sound from my speakers too (when I put then very close to my ears) does that mean anything. Idk how to attach a video here for you to hear it. The PSU is less than a year old (I bought it second hand) however the receipt is lost but it still has a warranty sticker, do you know how to contact EVGA support? And if they'll still RMA this without receipt?

Edit: Idk if this is the same issue for the previous owner bcs according to him it has no issue and working fine. Either it's been like this even before I had it and still ok and the previous owner didn't notice this sound. My system unit is on the desk and a bit near me so I could really notice the sound, don't know about the previous owner maybe he had his under a table so he didn't notice.