Question My psu's power cable burnt scratch, what do i do?

May 16, 2023
Greetings
My pc suddenly restarted 2-3 times and then turned off without wanting to turn on again. Then i smelled something burn near the pc and accidently saw that the power cord where is connected to the pc's psu have little scratch which smelled like burnt so i figured out why my pc wont start. I had another spare power cable so i tried with it turning the pc on and it still wont turn on... I wonder do i have to buy new psu in order to make my pc work again or i need to buy new motherboard? Its either one of those two things which are not working since my pc wont recieve any electric power so far. Sorry for my english.
Psu is cooler master b600 ver2 600w

Last edited:
May 16, 2023
I forgot to add that i did the paper clip test on the psu and the fan is spinning, idk if thats a valid reason if my psu still works or not.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Greetings
My pc suddenly restarted 2-3 times and then turned off without wanting to turn on again. Then i smelled something burn near the pc and accidently saw that the power cord where is connected to the pc's psu have little scratch which smelled like burnt so i figured out why my pc wont start. I had another spare power cable so i tried with it turning the pc on and it still wont turn on... I wonder do i have to buy new psu in order to make my pc work again or i need to buy new motherboard? Its either one of those two things which are not working since my pc wont recieve any electric power so far. Sorry for my english.
Psu is cooler master b600 ver2 600w
Sounds like the power cord took out the PSU. The PSU going bad could have taken other stuff down in a chain reaction.

I'd start with replacing the PSU and see what happens. Then go from there.

May 16, 2023
I found out there is raider 2 whats the difference and is it raider better than raider 2?
My rig is gtx 1070 and i7 4790 16gb ram 1600mhz notning fancy

May 16, 2023
I think group regulation is a thing for a more powerful rig than mine or am i wrong? The ones that are not group regulated are too expensive.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think group regulation is a thing for a more powerful rig than mine or am i wrong? The ones that are not group regulated are too expensive.

Not if you have a GTX 1070. Group-regulated should no longer be a thing for GPUs in this class. If this is the rig you're running, anything group-regulated ought to be at the recycling center, not powering your PC.

Cheap PSUs can be very expensive. Already, if you had bought a quality one in the first place, you wouldn't be needing to buy a second one now. And we still don't know whether your components still work as you prioritized the fun parts of the build rather than the safety parts. And there's the possibility that the lifespan of your CPU, motherboard, and/or GPU have already been reduced. I certainly would never recommend anyone buy a GTX 1070 that was used with your old PSU unless it was absurdly cheap.

May 16, 2023
Not if you have a GTX 1070. Group-regulated should no longer be a thing for GPUs in this class. If this is the rig you're running, anything group-regulated ought to be at the recycling center, not powering your PC.

Cheap PSUs can be very expensive. Already, if you had bought a quality one in the first place, you wouldn't be needing to buy a second one now. And we still don't know whether your components still work as you prioritized the fun parts of the build rather than the safety parts. And there's the possibility that the lifespan of your CPU, motherboard, and/or GPU have already been reduced. I certainly would never recommend anyone buy a GTX 1070 that was used with your old PSU unless it was absurdly cheap.
Yeah i didn't pay attention with that cooler master <Mod Edit> psu... I saw that fsp raider 1 is not group regulated only raider 2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The FSP Raider is group-regulated.

(These are the same platform)

On the secondary side, a synchronous design is used for rectifying the +12V rail, while there seems to be a kind of group regulation scheme for the minor rails (even though be quiet! claims they're independently regulated). To be more specific, during our tests we noticed a link between the +12V and 5V rails; only the 3.3V rail is regulated on its own. This means that under highly unbalanced loads between the +12V and 5V rails, performance is really bad.

The two FETs that regulate the +12V rail are installed on a small heat sink, which is blocked by the main transformer. be quiet! boasts about its independent regulation, but we only spotted two filtering coils on the secondary side, so we doubt that's entirely true. The large coil is used by the +12V and 5V rails, meaning that they're bonded together, while the small one is used by 3.3V. If all rails were independently regulated then we'd see three coils. Our test results will prove our theory.

If you don't want to accept that cheap PSUs are cheaply made, there's not much I can do about it, except wish you good fortune.

May 16, 2023
The FSP Raider is group-regulated.

(These are the same platform)

If you don't want to accept that cheap PSUs are cheaply made, there's not much I can do about it, except wish you good fortune.
What about evga supernova 650 gt ?

May 16, 2023
Little update: I bought another mobo second hand and my pc works again so my old psu took out only the mobo luckily. New psu is evga supernova 650gt i guess i am good with it from now on.

TRENDING THREADS