Question My Ram won't work but could it be me motherboard?

Hyperdarkness

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
So I'm new to the PC building community actually my first build and obviously this came with ALOT of agree that jt might not work and my worst fear came to life. My Ram wouldn't work and my motherboard which is a prime z370-All was showing my a yellow light indicating something was wrong with it. Eventually I gave up trying to troubleshoot after days of googling so I replaced it. Now comes today my new ram arrived and when I put it in the same problem the rgb didn't light up on the ram and the same yellow light from my motherboard. I have read the Manuel and read post and the board does support the ram so could my motherboard or dimm slots be broken. Please and help is appreciated. And becuase I am younge (16) I don't exactly have thousands of dollars so I'm hoping it's an easy fix. Thanks

Mar 19, 2019
Make sure the RAM is installed correctly and installed in the right slots. If you have 4 or more slots they should not be right next to each other. (EDIT: the ram shouldn’t be placed next to each other because of performance, but they will work even if placed like this). Try the other ram slots as well to see if that is the issue. You can also check the motherboard’s manual to see what the LED error code actually means.

Good luck!

That yellow LED continually lit during Post does indeed indicate a problem with RAM and Post will not continue till the problem is fixed.
Make sure your modules are fully inserted especially offside to the clip. You should also update your Bios however this is not possible with your MB until you have access to Bios and EZ Flash 3 utility.
Lets check for a mismatch so, please list the RAM kit Part No # or check that what you have chosen are listed (and tested known to work) on the MB QVL. Available here: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_QVL/
Also list your Intel CPU.

Hyperdarkness

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
I looked for a part No. I found Manufacturer reference which is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 would this be what I'm looking for if so I didn't find it on the list.so does that mean the ram isn't compatible with my motherboard?

Hyperdarkness said:
I looked for a part No. I found Manufacturer reference which is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 would this be what I'm looking for if so I didn't find it on the list.so does that mean the ram isn't compatible with my motherboard?

Also my CPU is a i7 8700k

The i7-8700K has official support for 2666MHz RAM and you have chosen OC RAM at 3200MHz.
What this means is that although your MB supports OC RAM up to 4000MHz. It will come down to the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip if indeed you can achieve your RAMs SPD. (i7 CPUs scale well but no guarantees)
OC RAM requires Bios settings for Primary Timings and Dram Voltage to be manually adjusted and very often Bios will during Post set a safe default frequency of 2666MHz and a safe voltage to allow the system to Boot.

I have checked and CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 as a (2x8) 16GB kit are not listed on the MB QVL so have NOT been tested. As you can't past Post then you may have to try another kit that have been tested and known to work at 2666MHz that are tested.
I'ts not to say your OC RAM won't work however you will need to tweak your Bios.
See if your supplier will lend you a kit to try as stated above.

Hyperdarkness

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
Hyperdarkness said:

The i7-8700K has official support for 2666MHz RAM and you have chosen OC RAM at 3200MHz.
What this means is that although your MB supports OC RAM up to 4000MHz. It will come down to the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip if indeed you can achieve your RAMs SPD. (i7 CPUs scale well but no guarantees)
OC RAM requires Bios settings for Primary Timings and Dram Voltage to be manually adjusted and very often Bios will during Post set a safe default frequency of 2666MHz and a safe voltage to allow the system to Boot.

I have checked and CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 as a (2x8) 16GB kit are not listed on the MB QVL so have NOT been tested. As you can't past Post then you may have to try another kit that have been tested and known to work at 2666MHz that are tested.
I'ts not to say your OC RAM won't work however you will need to tweak your Bios.

Hyperdarkness said:

The seller wont send me a different kit of ram unfortunately so should I buy a kit that I know works to see if the problem is the motherboard or dimm slots? I wouldn't only buy $100 kit or so and can get a full refund on both of the kits if needed.

Hyperdarkness

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
Money isnt necessarly a issue it's mainly the fact that I have bhad to wait an extra month just to get this ram kit and find out it might not work so. If it is just ram compatibility it would be nice cause I don't want to have to waste money on a new board, if it's just a simple ram kit switch

Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try a known working kit and if that's not it then you have to suspect the MB has dead RAM slots. This can happen ofc but its rare from a new MB. If your retailer will refund both kits if needed then time is your only issue.

Hyperdarkness

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try a known working kit and if that's not it then you have to suspect the MB has dead RAM slots. This can happen ofc but its rare from a new MB. If your retailer will refund both kits if needed then time is your only issue.
Ok I guess I'll order some Ram that gas been tested and come back when it arrives. Thank for all your help!