[SOLVED] My router is limiting 100 mbps speed

May 5, 2020
I have a modem, conected to a switch and one of those switch cables conected into my D-LINK DIR-825 router (Firmware 7.00).

I tested this cable without router and get 300mbps in my desktop, but when I connect the cable in my router, the lan and wifi connections are limiteds to 100mbps.
I'm using both cables CAT6 and CAT5e and already try to change Wan Port Speed to 1000mbps, but no success.

Please help me to get more than 100mbps in that DIR-825 Gigabit router.

Solution
Your switch appears to be a dummy unmanaged switch. So all configuration would have to be on the router side.

I would plug your modem into the WAN port of the router and plug switches of the router and your main switch together. You shouldn't have any bottlenecks because you only have 300mbps internet.
May 5, 2020
@Grobe I have a Modem with optical fiber (300 mb), connected with a switch and this switch is connected to my DIR-825 router.
I access the internet in all places:
  • Modem: connect some TVs and phones with wi-fi;
  • Switch: connect some TVs and one cable goes to my router;
  • Router: connect to my desktop by cable and my notebook/phone by wi-fi;
Both desktop and notebook have gigabit ports.

Ok, then:
  • Does the internal network adapter get in 100MBPS mode while connected to the router while 1GBPS while connected to switch?
  • Have you tried to log into your router and see if there is settings for port speed that can be changed?
  • Have you tried to communicate internal between computers at home? Are the (file) transfer speed different as well?
  • Do you have the same IP range while connected to the router? And does it use the same DNS servers in both cases (you must log into the router to see) ?

May 5, 2020
Ok, then:
  • Does the internal network adapter get in 100MBPS mode while connected to the router while 1GBPS while connected to switch?
  • Have you tried to log into your router and see if there is settings for port speed that can be changed?
  • Have you tried to communicate internal between computers at home? Are the (file) transfer speed different as well?
  • Do you have the same IP range while connected to the router? And does it use the same DNS servers in both cases (you must log into the router to see) ?
  1. Always 1Gbps mode;
  2. I try many settings and nothing change - i tried to change WAN speed to 1000mbps, but no luck;
  3. Only things connected in router limited to 100mbps, in other places, the max is 300mbps;
  4. Same IP range in router, DNS is dinamyc;
Sorry if i dont answer properly, not an expert here.

@Grobe I have a Modem with optical fiber (300 mb), connected with a switch and this switch is connected to my DIR-825 router.
I access the internet in all places:
  • Modem: connect some TVs and phones with wi-fi;
  • Switch: connect some TVs and one cable goes to my router;
  • Router: connect to my desktop by cable and my notebook/phone by wi-fi;
Both desktop and notebook have gigabit ports.
Check if that switch is fast eithernet (100Mbps) or gigabit (1000Mbps).

May 5, 2020
Check if that switch is fast eithernet (100Mbps) or gigabit (1000Mbps).
I use TI-sg108 gigabit switch, and when i connect the computer with a cable in switch, my internet goes to 300mbps.
Only when i connect this cable to my router and get another cable or router wi-fi, is limiting 100mbps. I try use cables CAT5e and CAT6 with no luck.

What are you using for the DHCP? Having the modem connected to the switch and PC would be fine. But once you connect the router or other devices to the switch, you'll need to have something allocating IP addresses and doing NAT.

What kind of modem is it? DSL/Cable internet? Or fiber ONT?

I would wire the modem into the routers WAN port, then connect one of the routers switch ports to the main switch. That's how I have mine set up and I have gigabit internet.

May 5, 2020
What are you using for the DHCP? Having the modem connected to the switch and PC would be fine. But once you connect the router or other devices to the switch, you'll need to have something allocating IP addresses and doing NAT.

What kind of modem is it? DSL/Cable internet? Or fiber ONT?

I would wire the modem into the routers WAN port, then connect one of the routers switch ports to the main switch. That's how I have mine set up and I have gigabit internet.
My modem is optical fiber.
I made a test, when i connect my router direct to the modem (without switch in the middle), my internet is getting 300mbps. I think the problem is the communication with my switch and router, i need to do any configuration to make this work properly?

Your switch appears to be a dummy unmanaged switch. So all configuration would have to be on the router side.

I would plug your modem into the WAN port of the router and plug switches of the router and your main switch together. You shouldn't have any bottlenecks because you only have 300mbps internet.

Reactions: Skayro and SamirD
Solution
May 5, 2020

After search in the internet, I saw my switch dont have a WAN port to configure. I will try change router do be in the middle and back to tell if i have success, thx.

TRENDING THREADS