[SOLVED] My rx480 8GB overheats and drives me insane

tomekzakoscielny1

Reputable
Sep 13, 2017
I have powercolor red devil rx 480 8GB that I've had for quite a time now and I've started to play games that push gpu to the limit (previously it was my bad cpu that throttled fps so that overheating issue wasn't present)
Recently I've been playing marvels avengers and this junk started to reach temps of over 85C which aren't great! GPU black screens around 87C and what's strange it's throttle temp is set at 90*C and I can't change it (I am using msi afterburner).
I've cleaned my whole pc,the gpu(I've even changed paste,not much improved). My case has good airflow with currently 6 fans in it.Now it's summer and it's a little bit hot but these temps are terrible and render card useless as it will crash after 5 mins of intense work.
Do you guys and lads have any tips on how to fix this? It's really annoying that I have to limit fps in my games because this gpu sucks ass and I can't change it because we all know how nice the prices for even mid tier gpu's are rn.
I've been thinking about changing thermopads,that's the last resort of psychically making things cooler I guess, also any ideas why throttle temp is so high? I'd rather have throttle than blackscreen

Solution
In MSI afterburner click the Settings cog. Under the General tab, scroll down to Compatibility Properties. Check the boxes for enbabling hardware control etc. See if that allows you to lower the throttle temp. Even though you have six fans, taking off the side panel during summer can really help some GPUs get cooler air.

SethJPC

Distinguished
In MSI afterburner click the Settings cog. Under the General tab, scroll down to Compatibility Properties. Check the boxes for enbabling hardware control etc. See if that allows you to lower the throttle temp. Even though you have six fans, taking off the side panel during summer can really help some GPUs get cooler air.

Solution

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
if heat rises then why do graphics cards get installed with the heat sync facing down, I had this same problem with this series of cards no matter how much I adjusted pads and thermal paste, my final solution was to get a work bench case and I just put it on its side so the fan/heat sync where facing upward

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
The gpu shouldn’t black screen at those temps… your gpu might be at the end of its life. Try replacing vrm thermal pads.

you sure the gpu fans are working correctly? Ive had fans spinning, but not fast enough.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
if heat rises then why do graphics cards get installed with the heat sync facing down, I had this same problem with this series of cards no matter how much I adjusted pads and thermal paste, my final solution was to get a work bench case and I just put it on its side so the fan/heat sync where facing upward

this is actually an interesting question, i always wondered why gpus face down when installed… always thought it would look better if the fans are facing up.

but, you could always mount it vertically if you want to see the fans.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
huh? Isn’t that how it usually works? The fans suck in the air and blow it out the sides, ive noticed that air actually blows at a slight angle up.
I always try to get the reference design so the heat blows right out the back of the case instead of having an army of fans moving that hot air inside the case makes cable management easy to

tomekzakoscielny1

Reputable
Sep 13, 2017
Hi. Sorry for late answer but here is the promo pic of my pc case (gladius x60) Full yellow circles are pre-build fans and yellow hollowed circles are ones I've added. All of them are 120mm. I've also did everything I could in terms of cable management https://ibb.co/xDN0Kf1
I've checked and all of mine gpu fans are working and I've custom set them via afterburner to work on 100% when over 70*C.
This gpu used to have throttle 80* limits but later on I didin't really notice when it was set at 90*C and I couldn't change it then and I can't do it now.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Have you tried running with the side panel removed?

have you checked the fans like i said earlier? Ive had fans not spinning properly before.

have you replaced thermal pads? When you replaced the paste did you tighten the cooler properly? All four screws with their springs complete?

tomekzakoscielny1

Reputable
Sep 13, 2017
Ye I've assembled them right and I've ordered thermopads but that will take another day or two. I've got ones with 15W/mK thermal conductivity. I hope this will help with dropping the temps.
Will make an update when I change them and test it out. Maybe some future rx 480 owner will find it somehow helpful

tomekzakoscielny1

Reputable
Sep 13, 2017
I am back after long time :) I've replaced thermopads with the 15W/mk ones and the difference between temps was worth the effort. The temps went from 87C to 76-78C and for me that's good enough
Old thermopads were dusty and looked pathetic.I still can't figure out why I can't change throttle temps but that doesn't matter now.
Thanks everyone for your input