My SATA DVD drive not in BIOS set-up boot-up listing

davidofkent

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I recently replaced my IDE DVD drive as it was making so much noise with another drive although this was a SATA.
Everything is now working fine - the DVD drive is operating (reading and writing discs) and it is as drive E: under 'My computer' and other menus on my PC (I am running XP) along with the floppy drive (A:), hard drive (C:), CD drive (D:)
However, when I went to run a DVD from it as a boot up disc, I realised something was wrong and on going to the BIOS set up. I was surprised to find it was no longer listed in the adavnced set up - all the other drives are listed as drives available to boot from, but the DVD drive is completely missing.
I've not had this trouble before and obviously its a nuisance as I can no longer boot up from any DVD discs.
Can anyone help please (I have tested the DVD in another PC and it is fine).

David

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
You may need to check for what devices are available to boot from in the BIOS. One list is the devices found and the other is a list of devices to be made available for booting. Because this is SATA and no longer an IDE, it may be classified as a different device type on your BIOS.

davidofkent

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for the replies above.
I have looked at all the options that appear under the BIOS set-up and I cannot find anything even remotely relevant to making a SATA drive one of the options for booting up. I just have the one option and on this it lists, the floppy, the CD drive, the hard drive, USB drives, etc. I have in fact tried all of the options listed and the DVD drive is never invoked for boot-up.
In sum, it has just disappeared from the BIOS menu for booting-up from certain drives.
I have checked the connections and they are OK: I assume that as the DVD drive reads/writes, and is listed under 'My computer', and so on, the computer does know its there - but why doesn't the BIOS list it?