[SOLVED] My second drive is gone after I converted D: disk to GPT

PH3

Apr 18, 2022
I wanted to install Windows 11 on my computer but needed to change BIOS to UEFI to enable secure boot. I therefore converted my D: disk to GPT using MBR2GPT, just following some steps on a website. It seamingly worked perfectly and i had no dataloss on my D:.

But then i realized that my secondary hdd was not showing up. Not in windows disk management or in BIOS. I tried pluging and unplugging the SATA cables, but nothing happened. It also sounds like the drive is spinning when i turn the computer on, and it worked just fine before i did the conversion. I've tried changing CSM settings without any luck. I've searched for days, but not found any answers, and I don't really know what to do.

My D: disk is a samsung 860 qvo 2tb ssd, and my secondary is a seagate barracuda 1tb.
I just installed an AMD Ryzen 5600x and have the newest bios update (for the Asus Rog strix B-450F), wich i had to do to make the cpu work.

Does anyone know what to do? appreciate any response,

Thanks!

Solution
Sounds to me like your Seagate Barracuda 1TB also thinks it is D: drive. If there are two drives with the same drive letter designation, the computer will only recognize one of them. Your SSD being D: drive seems odd ... normally I would have thought that should be your C: drive.

Maybe disconnect the SSD, and boot MS Windows install/recovery USB drive, see if the drive is recognized then ... and change the drive letter.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth .... which may, or may not be actually worth 2c}
I tried this but my computer did not find the drive at all. I switched the hdd to the SATA cable i usually have the ssd on, and it showed up. Then i switched the initial SATA cable to a new port and it showed up there too. Looks like...

PH3

Apr 18, 2022
full system
list exact what storage to what drive

I'm not entirely sure, but is this what you ask for?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 (TU106-200A) ASUS
RAM: 2X 8GB DDR4
(D: ): Samsung ssd 860 QVO 2TB
Secondary hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

All system files, games is on the Samsung ssd.

My hdd I'm pretty sure contains mainly music files, plugins and adobe files which is mostly backed up. There is more but i dont know exactly what is on there.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Sounds to me like your Seagate Barracuda 1TB also thinks it is D: drive. If there are two drives with the same drive letter designation, the computer will only recognize one of them. Your SSD being D: drive seems odd ... normally I would have thought that should be your C: drive.

Maybe disconnect the SSD, and boot MS Windows install/recovery USB drive, see if the drive is recognized then ... and change the drive letter.

Reactions: PH3

PH3

Apr 18, 2022

I tried this but my computer did not find the drive at all. I switched the hdd to the SATA cable i usually have the ssd on, and it showed up. Then i switched the initial SATA cable to a new port and it showed up there too. Looks like one of the Sata ports on my motherboard is broken or something. Awkward, but hey! Problem solved! Thanks for guiding me in the right direction ;)

Solution