My setup question and hdmi.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
I'm thinking of purchasing a hp compaq 6005 with a amd phenom 2 x4 b95 processor. I'm not sure on the graphics card yet. The actual pc has a VGA port and a displayport.If I chose a gpu with hdmi support, is that all I need to hook up this rig to my hdtv? Also could there be any flaws with my setup? (Im not going for a very high power gpu, midrange maybe).

Solution

The ports that are directly attached to the mobo are for the integrated graphics. You will not be using those since you are install ing a discrete gpu you'll just need a HDMI on the new card.
Have to agree with the others by the time you've made enough changes to even support a low end GPU it would have been cheaper to start from scratch.

If you're only looking for a media center PC a intel NUC or even an rpi would likely be a better choice.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Sorry RARRAF, how exactly would fitting the gpu be difficult, I'm not planning on using a high end graphics card and moreover I'm using the pc for very basic gaming. For games like gmod and others of that graphic intensity.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Thanks for your input guys, I was just wondering as I can get this pc fairly cheap about 70 euros. Is it still worth it, with a 50 60 euro gpu for low end gaming or will I run into many problems as a result (if so could you detail out of what you've seen?)

Ya the problem is finding a card. That's a SFF pc so most likely requires a half height card which are not very popular so not many are made not impossible though. You'd have to crack it open and measure to see how much room is inside your case.

The other problem is that it is a 6 ish year old dual core CPU with no upgrade path so it isn't worth getting a newer card for it. I wouldn't even consider anything better than maybe a gt 710 certainly nothing more expensive than that though. That isn't guaranteed to work either but others have had success running it low wattage PSUs like yours.

It'd be one thing to retrofit an old thing you had laying around but I can hardly recommend buying a PC that old. It will likely play old games but nothing past the year 2000 roundabouts. Well maybe an indie game or two.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Thanks spectre for that info and I definantly won't be buying a high end gpu I'm not planning on spending much more than 150 as I'm not a pc gamer. Just something to mess around with. However the cpu is not dual core it is definitely quad core.

Which will almost certainly require a PSU swap the GTX 970 for example draws 168W of power by itself

my bad had it confused with a different one.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Ok spectre I see but I'm no where near looking for a gpu of that power no where near it! I'm looking for about 3 maybe four times less power for games like gmod or even a game from 2010 or an indie game. Would a gpu with much less power consumption be an option? Or should I scrap it?

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
So the MAIN QUESTION her now is.

If I choose this pc, can I really only utiluse gpus form pré 2000? Or could I use a low end gpu for minor graphics (provided that its half sized, as someone said before).

That's the problem about the only ones that should actually work are either going to be a gtx 1050 costs around $120 or for a 750 $80 if your lucky or a 710 for about $40.

The 750 actually wouldn't be a bad choice and would work fairly well. The 710 was more for when I though you had a different CPU.

No games from 2000 the gpu is about the same age as that CPU. I am rescind that statement though because I was confused about the CPU.

Okay here is the thing. Pretty much all of these want a 300W PSU as the minimum. That said the power draw on them isn't too bad so a GPU that is powered solely by the PCI-e slot should work so long as the system doesn't have too many other things but there is no guarantee of that.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Would the pc working with that particular gpu depend on how much pressure I was putting on it? (Say if I tried playing games that were out of the power supplies control)

TRENDING THREADS