My setup question and hdmi.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
I'm thinking of purchasing a hp compaq 6005 with a amd phenom 2 x4 b95 processor. I'm not sure on the graphics card yet. The actual pc has a VGA port and a displayport.If I chose a gpu with hdmi support, is that all I need to hook up this rig to my hdtv? Also could there be any flaws with my setup? (Im not going for a very high power gpu, midrange maybe).

Solution

The ports that are directly attached to the mobo are for the integrated graphics. You will not be using those since you are install ing a discrete gpu you'll just need a HDMI on the new card.

Ya that's not a bad price in that case then. Just be sure that you get one that does not require extra power. the 750Ti is a similar though more powerful card it isn't a bad choice either but most not quite all of those required extra power.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
So the 750 is good then. Is the gtx 750 and 750 ti the only models of that type, in which case the 750 is a better choice that requires less power consumption yes?

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Ok I'll deifinetly consider the 750 but anyway.
As part of my VERY original question, do I need to have a hdmi in the back of my desktop in order to connect to my hdtv via hdmi or can I SOLELY connect it to my gpu and Straight into the tv without problems? (Sorry if it's a bit of a newbie q but I really am new to messing with pc componants and nowhere seemed to answer the question out of the hours of research I've done.

Cyano

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
If anyone can help me on the second part of my question The actual pc has a VGA port and a displayport. If I chose a gpu with hdmi support, is that all I need to hook up this rig to my hdtv? Like a hdmi from the gpu into the hdtv I wish to use.

The ports that are directly attached to the mobo are for the integrated graphics. You will not be using those since you are install ing a discrete gpu you'll just need a HDMI on the new card.

Solution