My specs and question...

hoggy522

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I'm asking here as i got laughed at in a different section to the forum.

I'm wanting to upgrade my PSU, my current one is 200W (Yeah i know really bad!)
I want to get a 750W PSU to buy a new graphics card, just wondering if my pc is capable of running a 570GTX if i upgrade the power supply, but worried about the rest of my computer, btw i read on the specifications that the minimum needed for the 570GTX power supply is 650W.

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: KP307AA-ABU a6430.uk
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 2560MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2558MB RAM

tecmo34

Administrator
Will it work in your system... Yes ... Is it a good idea... No!!

Reasons:
1) Your system will severely bottleneck your GTX 570 by your CPU speed, PCIe X16 (not PCIe 2.0) to just name a few.
2) You will lose at least two SATA connectors on your motherboard, most likely. A dual slot card will cover the yellow and blue ports on your motherboard.

c01357147.jpg

3) You would be better served updating your whole system versus just your video card. In addition, I wouldn't look to run a highend card IMO. I would look at a max the GT 545 or an ATI 5770 / 6770

As for your power supply... Here are the specifications for the GTX 570 below. Your system would not need more than a 550W power supply from a company like Corsair, SeaSonic or XFX. A 750W power supply is overkill for your needs.

Thermal and Power Specs:
97C - Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)
219W -Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)
550W - Minimum System Power Requirement (W)4
Two 6-pin - Supplementary Power Connectors4

Actually, you can run a PCI-E 2.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1 slot. But yes, he is right, you system is not ready for a high-end GPU like that. Sorry, not to crush your high-end GPU dream, but wouldn't you be disappointed to spend all that money on a card like that, but not be able to use it's power?

hoggy522

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thank you very much for your replies. I am glad i have asked the question as i am a newbie to graphics cards. Just one more question, would my PSU be able to run a 460GT gfx card? As i want a new one that will be able to run bf3 and i have just seen the specs and seen this card is recommended.

tecmo34

Administrator
Your currently used PSU will not be able to run the GTX 460. The GTX 460 & GTX 570 have very similar power requirements for the system. IMO, I wouldn't run any of those two cards on anything less than a 550W PSU.