My SSD wont get detected in BIOS (New Build Windows not installed)

Kyle_hayes

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Just built system yesterday wont detect SSD in boot menu and yes i tried different cables and sata power connectors HELP!

Setting aside your observation that the SSD (what's the make/model?) isn't detected in the BIOS...

What happens when you attempt installing a OS (which one?) onto that SSD? You're using the Windows Media Tool or a OS installation DVD for the OS installation?

So what happens if & when the initial OS setup screen appears and you attempt to install the OS on the SSD? An error message that no drive has been found? What?

What's the make/model of your motherboard?

Kyle_hayes

Commendable
May 21, 2016
my motherboard is a Asus h170 pro gaming board my SSD is a corsiar LE 240gb SSD i boot into bios its not detected i cant install an os because its not getting detected.

Kyle...
I'll be glad to help you if I can. But please answer my question, OK?

What happens when you attempt installing a OS (which one?) onto that SSD? You're using the Windows Media Tool or a OS installation DVD for the OS installation?

So what happens if & when the initial OS setup screen appears and you attempt to install the OS on the SSD? An error message that no drive has been found? What?

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

I think he can't even try to install the OS into the SSD because it isn't detected, which means he won't have it displayed as an option in the installation.

I'ts really weird, have you tried to connect the SSD in another computer? maybe it's just dead.

The OP did not indicate the system boots to a "black screen" nor did he indicate any BSOD upon bootup. Since he indicates the drive involved is not detected in the BIOS that indicates the system is not "dead in the water".

Presumably, (unless we hear differently), he can connect the Win OS installation media he's using - either the Windows Media Tool flash drive in a USB port or the installation DVD in the optical drive, in order to begin the OS installation process. If, for some reason the system does not permit the installation process to proceed I would like to know about it.

But if the process continues (as I suspect it might), then what happens at the beginning of the setup process with respect to setup detecting an appropriate drive on which to install the OS? No disk detected? What? If that be the case we can go on from there.

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

This is what I thought:

Again, do you have any other computer you can plug the ssd and see if it's "alive" ?

Thanks for the info that Windows setup does not detect a disk in the system on which to install the OS. It does verify your observation that the BIOS does not detect the disk as well.

Since you've already connected the SSD to other available SATA ports (connectors) on your motherboard and used a different SATA data cable I suppose we can rule out those items as the possible cause of the problem.

The thing to do now is test the disk with a SSD diagnostic program to determine whether you may be dealing with a defective disk. I don't recall you're mentioning the make/model of the SSD. Access the manufacturer's website to see if they provide a diagnostic program for their SSDs. Most manufacturers do. Samsung's Magician program is an example.

Report the findings, OK?

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

How is he supposed to test the disk if the system does not even recognize, I'm just wondering.

ema...
You raise a valid point. It's entirely possible the diagnostic program will not detect a completely defective disk that the system does not detect, however, more & more SSD diagnostic programs have shown a capability to not only detect the disk (defective or otherwise) but to provide a report as to its health notwithstanding the system's inability to detect the disk. Anyway, it's worth a shot.

Kyle...
When you boot the system if the appropriate keyboard F key is tapped, the boot menu should appear. Possibly the *right* key for your ASUS system is F8, (but it may be a different F key). Try this and let us know whether a boot menu appears, and if so, indicate specifically its entries (in detail).