Question My system doesn't run UEFI, can't update to Windows 11 ?

Aug 28, 2023
Recently my computer which I assembled with a friend about a year ago started giving weird errors with a specific game, it already did it before with youtube but it was very rare, around once every two months so I never paid it too much mind , it will simply freeze the computer completely without any error code or blue screen and then the only way to make it work again is forcing it to turn off at event log it shows two errors one is 1060 which is a driver error and the other 41 which is a kernel power error
3zly2ox1idkb1.png

A friend recommended me to format it and update to Windows 11, I tried updating but then it asked me to enable secure boot in the BIOS

image.png

to enable secure boot I had to activate UEFI, now here is the really weird part, my monitor was made in 2010 and it apparently doesn't run UEFI, when I changed my BIOS to UEFI and restarted the pc my monitor started turning on and off showing the BIOS every once in a while but not nearly enough for me to do anything below a video with the monitor turning on and off, worth mentioning I reseted CMOS by the jumper thinking it could be an issue like that
View: https://youtu.be/c7vUlaMp2mg

I had to drag a giant television from another room to be able to see the BIOS in UEFI for some reason, with that said even then my system did not recognize UEFI, If I restart the computer it goes right back to the BIOS with no way to go back to windows, I had to change back to CSM to solve it but I'm still unable to change to UEFI or update it to Win11

Hotrod2go

Proper
Jun 12, 2023
Your system should be able to run Win 11 in all its glory. It's been supported since bios version 7DV22v23 & that's from Sept 21'
Update to latest bios from MSI site here If your unfamiliar with BIOS updating, refer to the motherboards manual & follow instructions.
Just be sure that the Windows 11 installation media is downloaded from only Microsoft's official website & not some 3rd party supplier.
The only thing I'm not 100% certain about is your GPU not being capable of UEFI boot, but I presume it does considering its a 1000 series Nvidia card, perhaps some Nvidia GTX 1660 end users can clarify this?

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
to enable secure boot I had to activate UEFI
and to enable UEFI and Secure Boot with a Windows install you'll need to make sure that you're using GPT (GUID Partition Table) version of Windows. I learnt this the hard way, as the guy that built my PC installed the windows on the older MBR (Master Boot Record). Turning on UEFI caused my system to boot loop.

You can check the version of your windows by going to Disk Management, find the drive where C: resides, and then right click the disk to open Properties. Open the Volumes tab, and then click Populate if you haven't already. You should be greeted with the answer.

mXe1SX6.png

Aug 28, 2023
The only thing I'm not 100% certain about is your GPU not being capable of UEFI boot
The GPU is not the problem, the problem is my monitor who loses video when I change the mode to UEFI, when I connected a television I have at home it worked fine and I managed to properly navigate my BIOS in UEFI mode, the GPU is fine

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard would have been set to use Uefi with csm support before Windows was installed. Default setting for secure boot on current bios is disabled. Secure boot / tpm required uefi only. Later bios changes default secure boot option to on.

Moving forward, create win11 installer with Windows media creation tool. Update bios to the latest then reinstall Windows. Or if you don't update bios, change bios to uefi only and enable secure boot first then boot win11 installer usb. Cant simply update to Win11 as is, with the way bios has been configured and Win10 install is based on.