[SOLVED] My system got destroyed the worst way possible. Please help

yargd

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
Hi all,

Long story short, I used an Installation W10 USB to run Startup repair, but it failed multiple time.

I ran System Restore. During the process, my city got a power outage. The PC shut down.
advanced-startup-options.png

Now, my computer won't boot the the log in screen. It shows a black screen forever. I also can't no longer boot to the Installation W10 USB to reinstall W10 . I can't even go back to the System Recovery screen. Please help. Thank you.

Solution
Can you manage to get into the bios? If you can get into the bios, then possibly the HD or Ram is messed up. Try removing the HD and inserting another one to see if it will accept a clean install of win 10*. You can also try booting into windows diagnostics to check the ram is good. Also get into command prompt and run a check disk from the command line. I assume you have already tried startup repair without any results.

I have been in similar situations. Sometimes it helps to disconnect the power (and battery if its a laptop) and press the power button to discharge residual power. Then try again. Are there any other uneccessary peripherals connected to the pc? Try removing them before attempting the repair.

Kind regards
Chris

What happens when you try to boot from the USB to do a clean install?

An error message?

Nothing on screen whatsoever?

How did you make this installation USB?

Maybe it is faulty to begin with and you may have to properly make another?

What motherboard do you have and what is the keyboard character to bring up a boot menu?

Hi all,

Long story short, I used an Installation W10 USB to run Startup repair, but it failed multiple time.

I ran System Restore. During the process, my city got a power outage. The PC shut down.
advanced-startup-options.png

Now, my computer won't boot the the log in screen. It shows a black screen forever. I also can't no longer boot to the Installation W10 USB to reinstall W10 . I can't even go back to the System Recovery screen. Please help. Thank you.
A lot depends on whether or not there are essential files that you need on your drive. Option 1: no essential files, disk a total loss. You could try booting from a usb with a partitioning tool like Gparted and delete all of the old partitions on the disk to see if that helps with a complete reinstall of windows. Or if you have a newer computer with a disk erase function in the bios tool menu and you can reach that you could just erase the disk that way. Option 2: if there are essential files you could try booting from a usb containing a linux live distro. If successful, use its file manager to move essential files off of old disk and then use its Gparted to remove old partitions and prepare disk for windows install.

yargd

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
What happens when you try to boot from the USB to do a clean install?

An error message?

Nothing on screen whatsoever?

How did you make this installation USB?

Maybe it is faulty to begin with and you may have to properly make another?

What motherboard do you have and what is the keyboard character to bring up a boot menu?

The W10 USB is good because I used it many time before. When I try to boot to the USB, it won't load the set up screen, jut a blank purple screen.
545e70a8-578c-4e0f-8a57-1b955b9f300c

Now, I can't do anything to fix it. The automatic repair will run forever. I let it run all night and still a black screen.
6b9RfJso18uwMPIsLWcrkJ7xLPh28g5zWbWIOQq-PQM.png

Is there any other way to recuse my PC? Thanks

Chris N

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Can you manage to get into the bios? If you can get into the bios, then possibly the HD or Ram is messed up. Try removing the HD and inserting another one to see if it will accept a clean install of win 10*. You can also try booting into windows diagnostics to check the ram is good. Also get into command prompt and run a check disk from the command line. I assume you have already tried startup repair without any results.

I have been in similar situations. Sometimes it helps to disconnect the power (and battery if its a laptop) and press the power button to discharge residual power. Then try again. Are there any other uneccessary peripherals connected to the pc? Try removing them before attempting the repair.

Kind regards
Chris

* You could run a check disk on your bad HD by connecting it to a HD dock on another machine.

Memory test from command line point 6 here
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/start-the-windows-memory-diagnostic/#ftoc-heading-6

Ckeck Disk From Command line

Solution

yargd

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021

Thanks all for you inputs.
Solution:
I had to remove the main SSD > Format it > put it back in > reinstall W10s.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS