Question My system wont boot up after replacing ram, not even with the old one

Onemanual

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 cpu in a phantom gaming 4 x570. I didnt built it someone else did. For 2 years i used an 8 gb stick ddr4 with 2666 mhz but only registered 1333 mhz, dont know if its relevant. The 4 ram slots are parallel and are noted as A1, A2, B1, B2. The stick was on A1, i cant try the new rams on A1 because they are too thick and cant fit because the cpu fan.

Anyways i wanted to upgrade so i got 2 sticks of 8gb ddr4 with 3200mhz, this ones: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Corsair...&qid=1640805741&sprefix=16+gb+,aps,206&sr=8-3

So, i unplug the psu, take out the old ram and plug the new ram in A2/B2. First time i boot, the cpu fan starts making noises and the pc wont start. There are 2 red lights on, one that says cpu, the other says dram. Then, i try several things, try to return the old ram but the problem keeps happening, then i try to use one stick on a2 and didnt work not with the new one or the old one. Tried resetting the cmos unplugging the battery with the old ram and the new, didnt fix it. Can you guys help me?

Onemanual

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021
While trying to install new RAM, have you did anything to CPU heatsink? Anything at all? Accidentally or on purpose? Also are you sure you did not physically damaged motherboard by using too much force when installing sticks?

I didnt no, didnt touch the fan at all and didnt touch the mobo fan or sink. I pushed gently

I didnt no, didnt touch the fan at all and didnt touch the mobo fan or sink. I pushed gently
Too bad then as it eliminates all simple causes of problem - namely physical damage to motherboard and physical damage to CPU. I suppose you did check if any cables/connections didn't get loose during the process (considering CPU LED it could be EPS cable)? This leaves us the odd chance that new RAM was faulty and damaged your system, but that would be super rare thing. Other possibility, something accidentally died during your install attempts.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you ever built a computer and are familiar with the CPU to socket and cooler interface?

IE, would you be comfortable removing, cleaning, reseating, and repasting the CPU socket and then re-installing the cooler?

Your manual states (and in general Ryzen mobo want):

We suggest that you install the memory modules on DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 first for better DRAM compatibility on 2 DIMMs configuration.

For the system to have been built with a single stick in A1 seems unusual to me.

In a quick look, that RAM does not seem to appear on the motherboard QVL listing: (under support)

ASRock > X570 Phantom Gaming 4

That can be a bigger issue with Ryzen/AMD than with Intel. My concern is that the old RAM won't boot either.
Did you use a static strap while doing this work?
Are you sure you are seating the RAM properly with a good push and click?

Onemanual

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021
Have you ever built a computer and are familiar with the CPU to socket and cooler interface?

IE, would you be comfortable removing, cleaning, reseating, and repasting the CPU socket and then re-installing the cooler?

Your manual states (and in general Ryzen mobo want):

For the system to have been built with a single stick in A1 seems unusual to me.

In a quick look, that RAM does not seem to appear on the motherboard QVL listing: (under support)

ASRock > X570 Phantom Gaming 4

That can be a bigger issue with Ryzen/AMD than with Intel. My concern is that the old RAM won't boot either.
Did you use a static strap while doing this work?
Are you sure you are seating the RAM properly with a good push and click?

Im not familiar with pc building enough to connect and disconnect cpu.

Yeah its an odd choice using that setup, i did buy that ram because of budget problems and now tha i wanted an update, this happened.

Yes, the ram is not compatible with the mobo it seems, i found out after the fact, the old one is compatible, ichecked that at the same time, are current mobos that fragile?, its for sure death? How common is that the cpu and mobo dies because of this? Is there a way of testing if the cpu is ok without spare parts? (More rams, mobos or cpus).

I didnt use static strap but i grounded myself several times, i have installed ram before in other computers. I pushed it gently but it doesnt click in this mobo, im pretty confident i did the correct amount of force. If it wasnt well installed would the red led tracker of the cpu on aswell?