[SOLVED] My upgraded graphics card doesn't perform any different to my old GPU.

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
My original prebuilt PC was purchased and the end of 2015 and contained poor hardware, however over the years I've upgraded from the outdated and frankly garbage R9 380 and recently purchased an RX 570 due to popular appraisal. My current specs are the following:

RAM: 8gb
SSD: None
CPU: AMD FX 8370
GPU: was R9 380 - now RX 570
PSU: 550W
Monitor: BenQ Gl2460
Motherboard: 78LMT-USB3
HDD: 1TB (I think)

After making the switch and successfully installing the RX 570 I launched PUBG, my previous graphics card got me around 30 fps, at times I would drop to around 15-20 and in smaller areas and on the smaller map I would occasionally get 60fps. Expecting my PC to perform similarly to the benchmarks I had watched I loaded into a match to find myself getting the exact same performance I had gotten on my previous graphics card. I then began trying other games - Destiny 2, Fortnite etc. and noticed the same pattern. I have become very familiar with the performance of my system on games and would be able to tell if my performance was significantly better or worse, in this case it appeared exactly the same.

My drivers appear to be up to date, the GPU is detected and working properly, the fans are spinning and the PC appears to be running fine. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Last edited:
Solution
*In both builds, I selected an SSD you can use for the OS drive. If this isn't a concern for you, leave it out.
You may find the 2nd build more appealing, since the 1st one is cutting it close to the budget limit.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($312.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($258.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($125.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.50 @ Shopping Express)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ PC...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

As Metal Messiah has already stated, PSU make and model? and CPU?

pretty sure I have the latest drivers
You will want to confirm this. (and don't use a third party driver installer!)
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
When you say it doesn't perform differently, was your previous GPU bottlenecking?
What games / resolution / settings / refresh rates?

Last edited:
I don't think it is a PSU problem. The R9 380 was a pretty good card bottlenecked by a Bulldozer/Piledriver CPU. The RX570 is just waiting for the CPU faster now.

The reason that CPU wasn't good for gaming was single-core performance was no faster than Core 2 per clock, from 2006. Of course it did clock higher, and had many more cores--but that's not good enough for games.

This is what is known as a "severe CPU bottleneck". I will assume you may be using a mid/low end AM3+ CPU in your PC, so it's understandable the RX570 is not working at its full potential. I'd even say the R9 380 wasn't either!

What is the specific CPU you're using currently?

Cheers!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't think it is a PSU problem. The R9 380 was a pretty good card bottlenecked by a Bulldozer/Piledriver CPU. The RX570 is just waiting for the CPU faster now.

The reason that CPU wasn't good for gaming was single-core performance was no faster than Core 2 per clock, from 2006. Of course it did clock higher, and had many more cores--but that's not good enough for games.
Agreed, thus why I was curious as to what CPU it was (realise I forgot to mention it).
Also why I wondered if the previous one was ever a bottleneck.

OP if the GPU wasn't limited before, an upgrade won't result in a difference.

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
My original prebuilt PC was purchased and the end of 2015 and contained poor hardware, however over the years I've upgraded from the outdated and frankly garbage R9 380 and recently purchased an RX 570 due to popular appraisal. My current specs are the following:

RAM: 8gb
SSD: None
CPU: AMD FX 8370
GPU: was R9 380 - now RX 570
PSU: 550W
Monitor: BenQ Gl2460
Motherboard: 78LMT-USB3
HDD: 1TB (I think)

After making the switch and successfully installing the RX 570 I launched PUBG, my previous graphics card got me around 30 fps, at times I would drop to around 15-20 and in smaller areas and on the smaller map I would occasionally get 60fps. Expecting my PC to perform similarly to the benchmarks I had watched I loaded into a match to find myself getting the exact same performance I had gotten on my previous graphics card. I then began trying other games - Destiny 2, Fortnite etc. and noticed the same pattern. I have become very familiar with the performance of my system on games and would be able to tell if my performance was significantly better or worse, in this case it appeared exactly the same.

My drivers appear to be up to date, the GPU is detected and working properly, the fans are spinning and the PC appears to be running fine. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I apologise to all the people who answered without my final edit being published, I did not expect my post to be seen in at all, let alone in a matter of minutes, please view my updated thread for more information. <3

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I apologise to all the people who answered without my final edit being published, I did not expect my post to be seen in at all, let alone in a matter of minutes, please view my updated thread for more information. <3
Unfortunately the same issue remains, was your GPU actually the limitation previously?
If the CPU was the limitation previously, upgrading the GPU will make 0 difference.

Have you monitored CPU/GPU temps and % usage when the frame drops occur?

Reactions: rcald2000
I knew PUBG was horribly optimized, but IMO the FX8350 isn't THAT bad to result in such a big variance of 15-60fps. Fortnite should be no problem.

Is this 1080p? What graphics quality settings?

When you can see a lot of other people on your screen, that's very CPU demanding. When you're running around by yourself, there should be less stress on the CPU. Can you draw any trends knowing that?

Greenfish- Hello. I have a question about your 8 GB of RAM. Is it a single 8 GB chip, or two 4 GB chips? The reason that I'm asking is in order to confirm that you're using dual channel. I checked your motherboard manual (below) in order to verify that both of your memory chips should either be in the two grey slots or the two blue ones. Please answer these two questions when you have a free moment. Thanks.

Summary: I wonder if the cause of your issue is either (1) CPU temps being too high and causing your CPU to thermal throttle. Or (2) your RAM only being in single channel mode, thereby restricting your gaming performance.

Request: If you wouldn't mind, could you take a picture of the inside of your build, showing your entire motherboard inside your case, upload the photo to imgur and share the link here? A picture would give an idea of air flow and also what dimm sockets your RAM is in. Also, while your case is open, you could test for thermal throttling by turning the computer on it's side, with motherboard facing the ceiling. If excess heat is causing your problem, then placing the computer temporarily on it's side, should lessen this condition, while you're gaming. Please let us know.

Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3.
-- motherboard manual --
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60/support#support-manual

Last edited:

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
I knew PUBG was horribly optimized, but IMO the FX8350 isn't THAT bad to result in such a big variance of 15-60fps. Fortnite should be no problem.

Is this 1080p? What graphics quality settings?

When you can see a lot of other people on your screen, that's very CPU demanding. When you're running around by yourself, there should be less stress on the CPU. Can you draw any trends knowing that?
I have always run the game on the lowest possible graphics with vsync on and 1920x1080 with 60hz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could you explain further with simpler terms?? As you can tell I'm an amateur.
AMD to mobo vendors: Hey guys, we're still getting our butts kicked by Intel, so we've decided to drop some new last minute processors.
Vendors ...
AMD: Here's the schematics, Toodles!
Thus the FX-8xxx and 9xxx series cpu were launched, and the Vendors made them compatible with their current lineup of mobos. But something terrible was happening with these new cpus. They were somehow performing even worse than the older FXs!

AMD: So, hey guys... uhh yea, we kinda made a little 'oopsie'.
Vendors: You don't say...
AMD: Yea, so, these things draw just a tad bit more power than we expected, and we've had to do some revisions. Here's the specs for a new series of boards that'll handle this issue. We'll let you get right to it. Meanwhile, we're gonna go into hiding for about 10 years...(after which they would launch Zen)
Vendors: :pfff:

The 990FX chipset motherboards were born afterwards, with enough VRM phases to not be burned out by the new FX cpus - yep, the FX-8370 will kill that mobo given enough time.
There are some 970A chipset motherboards that are up to the task as well, but those are few and far between.

AMD had underestimated the power draw of these 125w cpus. While these cpus are supported on the bios level, support does not equal reliability.
You were having problems with this cpu before you replaced the R9 380. You were actually due for a cpu upgrade.

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
The information I've gathered from these replies is that I should definitely think about building a more updated system around my recently purchased RX 570 if I want to see some performance gain??

Any confirmation would be appreciated.