Question My USB 3.0 keep disconnecting and reconnect

Jun 12, 2020
So, it's been recently that I thought that my External HDD were broken and got me to buy another 3TB External HDD. Turns out, when I plug that 3TB HDD to USB 3.0, the HDD sounds like having raising noise and then clicks and then slowing down and then raising and clicks again for few times until it finally detects on my PC.

When I'm in a middle of copying file from Internal to 3TB Ex HDD, every USB port suddenly disconnect (such as keyboard, mouse, even USB Wifi)
I tried to do these already and nothing changes
  • Turn off power saver from control panel
  • Disable all USB power saver from Device Manager
  • Turn off Legacy USB Support from BIOS
  • Trying another port (2 back USB 3.0 and 1 front USB 3.0)
But weirdly, both external HDD works just fine on USB 2.0 port. But if I have to plug on USB 2.0 instead, this drive will be very useless.
My computer's spec
  • Intel Core i5 6400
  • Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Asus H110-ME M.2
  • 450W PSU Thermaltake TR2 Bronze
I don't know if it's really just my power supply underpowered, but I've already plugged 2 ex HDD (500GB + 1TB) for more than 2 years and works just fine. It just recently they start reconnecting itself and I thought I'd buy another 3TB HDD just to replace those 2 HDDs
Thanks for any reply.

Lutfij

Titan
450W PSU Thermaltake TR2 Bronze
How old is the PSU? The PSU you have shouldn't be considered or labelled as a PSU in the first place. It's badly built and isn't reliable for any kind of system.

You might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and that you've installed the latest drivers for your chipset. If they're installed, reinstall them manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Admininstrator.

Make and model of your chassis?

+ Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Jun 12, 2020
How old is the PSU? The PSU you have shouldn't be considered or labelled as a PSU in the first place. It's badly built and isn't reliable for any kind of system.

You might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and that you've installed the latest drivers for your chipset. If they're installed, reinstall them manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Admininstrator.

Make and model of your chassis?

+ Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU I've just bought 2 years ago.

And I checked on my mainboard's BIOS, it says no update available, so I'm thinking I'm on the latest version.

I don't remember the make and model of my chassis, it has no branding.

But I've thought another solution,
I'm thinking to buy USB 3.0 PCI Express 1x adapter.
I assuming it's faulty on Mainboard's USB 3.0 port
Do you think using USB 3.0 PCI Express adapter will work ?