[SOLVED] My USB wifi adapter is slow ONLY on my laptop. Other computers fine.

Jul 31, 2019
I've encountered an issue and I've exhausted all my options, so I'm posting here. This has really got me confused and I'd love to know the answer.

I have a Windows 10 Inspiron 15 7559. The onboard network card broke a while back, so I purchased a TP-LINK TL-WN823N 300Mbps to connect to Wifi. I clock around 13mbps download speed. I plugged it into my wife's laptop, connect to same network- she gets a nice 70mbps d/l speed.

I tried testing speed at my office's wifi network. Same speed, 13mbps, but other coworkers are getting 70-80mpbs.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the TP Link drivers. Maybe there's an issue with my USB port power? The laptop has 3 USB ports, all 3.0 and one USB 3.0 w/ PowerShare. I've tried all ports, tested speed- all the same. The USB controller is Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller 1.0. There's also a USB Root Hub (3.0). (https://imgur.com/YvKX0Fi )

Any insight would be great. This is really boggling my mind. If I can't fix it, I'd still LOVE to know the reason!

Solution
Can I ask what happened to the built in wifi card? An option you may not of consider is replacing the built in wifi with an upgrade. If you go this route.

This wifi adapter

Wifi adaptor amazon

Driver page

I am not saying you replace the wlan card have a computer shop replace it. but let Windows 10 detect and install drivers first.

I really never liked USB adapters they always seem to have some sort of issue.
Jul 31, 2019
This driver that has issues is it from a CD? If so than confirm the wifi adaptors hardware version than dowload a new driver from.

Driver page

I also found this post which may help

Post on MS
Thanks Dave for your help! I actually have talked to TP-Link support the last week and have tried several of their drivers provided, no luck. It came with no CD, Microsoft has a default driver when you plug it in to a PC, which works fine. Like I said, my wife's Windows 10 laptop pulled in almost 70mpbs download speed with this adapter- same wifi network, same everything. No drivers needed. That's why I feel it's possibly a USB issue or a configuration issue in my laptop's settings

Dave8671

Distinguished
Can I ask what happened to the built in wifi card? An option you may not of consider is replacing the built in wifi with an upgrade. If you go this route.

This wifi adapter

Wifi adaptor amazon

Driver page

I am not saying you replace the wlan card have a computer shop replace it. but let Windows 10 detect and install drivers first.

I really never liked USB adapters they always seem to have some sort of issue.

Solution