[SOLVED] My Video viewing experience on my Laptop is very Choppy/laggy/Full of Stutters when watching on high resolutions on YouTube or other platforms.

Sep 9, 2020
Hello PC community.
I have some problems with my laptop which I agree is not a very strong one, but I have problems like Stuttering and Choppy frames even while watching YouTube videos,or Netflix content. It's a Laptop I only use for School work and for media consumption and nothing else. It wasn't in use for quite some time now about 3 years. It's a Toshiba Tecra A11, about 7-8 years old, had come with windows 7 and then I upgraded to windows 10 and for quite some time now it hadn't been in use but since this pandemic started I had classes online so I got it out and Started using it again.

Specs of the laptop are: CPU: i5-520M
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (which was 3 GB , which i upgraded recently)
A WD 320 GB 7200 RPM storage which works perfectly fine and pretty fast for normal tasks and good boot times of about 18 seconds.
Integrated GPU and 15.6 in Panel (1366*768 res)

The Laptop is working pretty normal in most cases but when I watch YouTube videos on high resolutions like 1080p or higher(that is anything above 720p) the video gets loaded as my internet is certainly not the issue in the case, but even after the video loads , it has a lot of unnecessary buffering going on with lots of frame skips and choppy video playback

I just wanted to know why this is happening and is it because of some Hardware issue like if my integrated GPU is not even strong enough to play High resolution videos on You Tube or is it just some software issue which I can change with some Setting or software changes . Basically I would like to get this issue fixed.

Also All my drivers are updated recently and the windows 10 version is 1909.

Kindly Help me fix this issue as soon as possible and thanking you in advance.

Solution
Umm I usually Use brave browser for most things....in that i couldnt go above 720p, But in chrome I could go up to 1080p, but then again 1440p and 4k starts stuttering
Have you try to disable hardware acceleration on Chrome settings ?
Also make sure the power plan settings on your laptop is set as High Performance.

If it's not work, considering you laptop is a old one, with intel iGPU, the 1080 may be out of their capability, causing stuttering/laggy issue when playing video.
Hello PC community.
I have some problems with my laptop which I agree is not a very strong one, but I have problems like Stuttering and Choppy frames even while watching YouTube videos,or Netflix content. It's a Laptop I only use for School work and for media consumption and nothing else. It wasn't in use for quite some time now about 3 years. It's a Toshiba Tecra A11, about 7-8 years old, had come with windows 7 and then I upgraded to windows 10 and for quite some time now it hadn't been in use but since this pandemic started I had classes online so I got it out and Started using it again.

Specs of the laptop are: CPU: i5-520M
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (which was 3 GB , which i upgraded recently)
A WD 320 GB 7200 RPM storage which works perfectly fine and pretty fast for normal tasks and good boot times of about 18 seconds.
Integrated GPU and 15.6 in Panel (1366*768 res)

The Laptop is working pretty normal in most cases but when I watch YouTube videos on high resolutions like 1080p or higher(that is anything above 720p) the video gets loaded as my internet is certainly not the issue in the case, but even after the video loads , it has a lot of unnecessary buffering going on with lots of frame skips and choppy video playback

I just wanted to know why this is happening and is it because of some Hardware issue like if my integrated GPU is not even strong enough to play High resolution videos on You Tube or is it just some software issue which I can change with some Setting or software changes . Basically I would like to get this issue fixed.

Also All my drivers are updated recently and the windows 10 version is 1909.

Kindly Help me fix this issue as soon as possible and thanking you in advance.
What browser do you use to play youtube ? Have you try another browser to play 1080 youtube video ?

Umm I usually Use brave browser for most things....in that i couldnt go above 720p, But in chrome I could go up to 1080p, but then again 1440p and 4k starts stuttering
Also make sure the power plan settings on your laptop is set as High Performance.

If it's not work, considering you laptop is a old one, with intel iGPU, the 1080 may be out of their capability, causing stuttering/laggy issue when playing video.

Solution
Sep 9, 2020

Ok that was good, after I disabled that setting in Chrome I could play on 1440p without any issues, then I think you are right that the iGPU is just too weak for 4k.
Thanks a lot For the help

TRENDING THREADS