Question My WD Elements External HDD has a high load/unload count - - - - is it worn out or is it probably fine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

realflow100

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
my 2tb wd elements USB 3.0 HDD drive after a few years of using
"Ordered on April 30, 2020" purchase date
the large number of load/unload count caught my attention and its still going up.
The drive has mainly just sat on my desk connected to the back of my computer. not being touched aside from storing files on it. to access.
Originally it was my game drive storing ark survival evolved on and a few other large steam games.
until I got a big enough 1TB nvme m.2 SSD to fit my large games on for my main OS.
and after that its being used as an extra storage capacity for my computer to store files on.
I also got a 4TB WD blue internal drive now which im using as an extra storage and for backup of important files.

image.png

I have a WD 3 TB drive, 5400 rpm;

About 9 years old; 53000 power on hours; connected internally, running maybe 15 hours every day;

Crystal Disk Mark says good health. All blue

Load/unload cycle count: current 176; worst 176; threshold 0; raw value 74486

Drive has been in use for about 3200 days; that's about 23 cycles a day. I can tell you that per day rate has been roughly the same since purchase.

I think that counts every time the heads are parked?

As far as I know, drives are rated for several hundred thousand parks, but I don't know the actual limits on my drive or your drive.

Some earlier WD drives would reach 100,000 or more in weeks, with the solution being to run a WD utility called wdidle3 to change the default value of 8 seconds for head parking. I have NO IDEA if your drive may have this issue.

My drive could drop dead within 10 seconds. I'm prepared for that. Any replacement could die within the first 10 seconds. My attitude is to ride the apparent good horse until issues arise.

realflow100

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
my internal type 4tb wd blue hdd is showing not much higher load/unload than the amont of hours its been on. so pretty similar to your 3TB one for that drive
I do also have some other drives that have been sitting on a shelf for years sitting unused and still have their data intact and works fine with over 45,000 hours however a couple of them have between 5 and 205 reallocated sector counts (though those numbers have not changed or increased even years later since those reallocated sectors appeared so those might just be one-off instances likely if the power was shut off during use or something)
theres no current pending sector count or uncorrectables on any of them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.