Question My wife's PC suddenly stopped showing a display from all ports and the cpu and gpu fans wasn't moving

DarkStoneDragon

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Hi, earlier this evening my wife was using a AI program and she got a blank screen and the TV said there was no single so we tried another hdmi port on the TV same thing, then we tried my monitor same result, so I googled a possible fix and did the cmos reset or restore (don't remember what it's called) her PC is around 8 years old so we don't remember all the specs. but I'll post what I can find.

specs.
O.S. Windows 10
gpu EVGA Geforce gtx 1080
RAM 32gb not sure of type
not sure if this will help
motherboard MSI Z270-A Pro

Being as the PC has a few years under the belt. How dusty is the GPU and the rest of the PC in general.

How's the CPU dust wise?

I also would take a flash light and look hard into the power supply for a blanket cover like a haunted house. Don't open it just look into it through the grill.

If things seem ok and not a overheating/ dust issue do you have a loaner GPU to test in her machine.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DarkStoneDragon

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Being as the PC has a few years under the belt. How dusty is the GPU and the rest of the PC in general.

How's the CPU dust wise?

I also would take a flash light and look hard into the power supply for a blanket cover like a haunted house. Don't open it just look into it through the grill.

If things seem ok and not a overheating/ dust issue do you have a loaner GPU to test in her machine.
I didn't think to test a different GPU I'll try it, we have several GPUs that may still be good, or I could just take mine out and try it in her PC, my PC consists of components from 3-6 PCs that wouldn't work after we were hit by a tornado a little over 8 years ago, forgot to mention, the power supply didn't have hardly any dust in it the PC & GPU was a little bit dusty but not much.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hi, earlier this evening my wife was using a AI program and she got a blank screen and the TV said there was no single so we tried another hdmi port on the TV same thing, then we tried my monitor same result, so I googled a possible fix and did the cmos reset or restore (don't remember what it's called) her PC is around 8 years old so we don't remember all the specs. but I'll post what I can find.

specs.
O.S. Windows 10
gpu EVGA Geforce gtx 1080
RAM 32gb not sure of type
not sure if this will help
motherboard MSI Z270-A Pro
When you power on assuming you have a cpu air cooler does the fan at least twitch?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That last is a big clue. For background, a few facts.

All fan headers have an important secondary function: they monitor the fan speed signal coming back and detect NO signal as a fan FAILURE. This triggers an on-screen warning so you know and can fix. MOST CPU_FAN headers do much more. IF they detect no speed signal, they will warn you and then, within a short time, may completely shut down your system without even waiting for the temp sensor inside the CPU to detect high temps. Thereafter if they fail to find a speed signal at an attempted start-up they will NOT allow anything to proceed - you see a "dead machine". This sounds a lot like what you describe.

How this all works in a system with a liquid-cooling set-up depends a lot on the details of the system and WHERE the components are plugged in. It may depend also on some details of how those fan headers are configured in BIOS Setup. So to help we need as many details as you can find like this:
Maker and model of the AIO (liquid cooling) system
Maker and model of your mobo
Where is the cable from the PUMP plugged in? Does that pump have more than ONE cable? Where do those others go?
Where is the cable to the RAD FANS plugged in? Often there is more than one such, so there may be a SPLITTER or perhaps a FAN HUB involved.
When you push the front power button while watching carefully, WHAT fan are you looking at when you say it does nothing?
You say the front fan starts up, but nothing else. Does it keep running? Are there any indicator lights on the mobo showing?