Question My Windows take slow time to boot up.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 9, 2019
Hello maybe I am in the wrong place but i didnt see any topic related to this one.

I have a problem with my windows 10 in the last 2-3 months, windows take around 5 minutes to turn on, it is very slow, I believe that happened right after i updated my Graphics Driver via Driver Booster 6 and after that the pc started to turn on slow and it lags a lot also.

Anyone can help me how to boost it up ?

Jul 9, 2019
I just downloaded and installed the latest NVidia Geforce graphic card driver from their official website and the PC turned on and started to work at 3 minutes and 15 seconds, or 03:22.93 according to my phone's stopwatch.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
In the Task Manager, loot at the “Startup” tab that list what softwares that are loaded during boot and their relative impact on boot time. This might give you an idea of what’s causing the long boot that you are experiencing and who’s the culprit

Jul 9, 2019
Do I also uninstall my anti virus program? I am using avast free antivirus.

From what I heard Windows Defender isn't that good, that's why I installed an anti virus program.

But I don't get it, 2-3 months ago the computer was perfectly fined, it turned on in less than a minute, now it takes 5 minutes, I believe it was after the graphics card driver update however I downloaded and installed it yesterday the latest driver for my graphic card from the official website and the pc is still slow.

I'm afraid I don't have enough time to read through the whole thread, but by reading the first few posts I can guarantee you that you have a few of them good ol' PUPs (potentially unwanted programs). One of them is Driver Booster 6, and another is Advanced SomethingCar Something. Now, either you can simply wipe your whole hard drive and reset Windows (i'd recommend this if it get to the point where startup take over 1 minute), or follow the steps I'm going to give you.
•Download Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/, and make sure you have the free 14 day trial activated. Run a FULL scan and QUARANTINE EVERYTHING it tells you to, even if you think you need it. Trust me, if Malwarebytes says it's anything bad, it is.
•During the 14 day free trial, if Malwarebytes blocks anything through its realtime protection, do not undo what it blocks.
•Open Task Manager and go into the startup tab. Untick anything that isn't vital. Make sure that you do not untick your Nvidia driver, sound driver, and Windows programs.
•Click start, type CMD, and right click command prompt to run as an administrator. Type "chkdsk /f /r" (without ") and hit enter, if it asks to perform on next restart, type "y" (without ") and hit enter then restart. If it looks like it is stuck, it is not, it is going fine, it just takes ages.
•Open CMD as administrator again. Type "SFC /scannow" (without ") and hit enter. Let it do this until it is done. Even if it takes ages, if is not, it also takes ages.
•Click start. Search for uninstall a program. Choose the control panel option. Look for any programs that you did not install yourself (bloatware). Even if you have decided to use these, of they were not placed there by you then they should not be there. Things to not uninstall include Windows Updates (have KB99999LotsOfNumbers9999), DirectX, and Net Framework. I'd recommend you take a few screenshots and we here can tell you what you need to uninstall.
•Click start. Type Defrag. Click defragment and optimise drives. Choose your "C" drive, and click analyse. Once done, click optimise. This will defragment your drive. Basically, over time, files will get scattered, and so defragmenting un-scatters them so that they get accessed quicker.

Hopefully this guide will help you. I know you might think it all sounds useless, but trust me as someone who has previously had to go through all of these before, it helps.

Jul 9, 2019
I just did a full PC scan with Malwarebytes and it DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING EXCEPT PUP's!

No viruses, no malware, no spyware, no trojans, no worms etc etc... only PUP's.

It detected around 250 PUP's.

Now I am gonna try step 4.

I got a question for you, since I have Avast Free Antivirus and Malwarebytes do I disable temporary my Avast Antivirus since Malwarebytes is here?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would uninstall a vast because that is a terrible software and just use built-in windows defender see if that speeds things up

USAFRet

Titan
I said "(part of)"....

Did Malwarebytes remove all those?

2:30 is still a long boot time. Too long.
Given that you had DriverBooster (junkware #1), and AdvancedSystemCare (junkware #2), and malwarebytes found another 250PUP's....

Removing junkware 1 & 2 reduced your boot time by 1/3 to 1/2.
My initial estimation still stands...I think this is a software issue, not hardware.

What else is in there mucking up the works?

Did you either quarantine or delete ALL 250 PUPs? If not, you will have to rescan and get rid of them. The thing is, a PUP is a form of malware in my opinion, as it can harm your PC, in your case slowing it down significantly. Also, the fact that you had optimiser programs running means some of your Windows files have probably been modified. This is where running sfc /scannow comes into play, as it will try to restore Windows files and DLLs to their original state.

Jul 9, 2019
Did you either quarantine or delete ALL 250 PUPs? If not, you will have to rescan and get rid of them. The thing is, a PUP is a form of malware in my opinion, as it can harm your PC, in your case slowing it down significantly. Also, the fact that you had optimiser programs running means some of your Windows files have probably been modified. This is where running sfc /scannow comes into play, as it will try to restore Windows files and DLLs to their original state.

I quarantined them, I didn't delete them.

D

Deleted member 14196

Oh if you use driver booster you probably have screwed up some of the drivers in your system which could easily cause this. I recommend a full clean install

Don’t ever use driver booster or any driver or utility