joep127

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
hi,

My comp was working perfectly for many years until yesterday, when I turned on the comp instead of starting WinXP it showed up a message "No Operating System was found".

I tried to boot up the comp w/ a WinXP CD. It won't let me repair/reinstall by saying "No harddrive was detected"

Did I just got a deadly virus? or the HD died due to depreciation (used for 4-5 years already)?

thanks

G

Sounds like your hard drive failed. Can you see it in the BIOS? If yes, download the diagnostic and test the drive. I hope you have a backup.

Grumpy

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
check if you can see the drive in bios,
check the cables
did you recently moved your computer
does the harddrive make the normal spinning buzz?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's a hd problem alright. Check bios for hd, check power for hd, check cables for hd and check hd if it's running at all. 4-5 years of use, well it might dead, but hey that gives you a perfectly good excuse to upgrade! :)

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
That's a hd problem alright. Check bios for hd, check power for hd, check cables for hd and check hd if it's running at all. 4-5 years of use, well it might dead, but hey that gives you a perfectly good excuse to upgrade! :)

Hard drives only last 4-5 years?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Pretty much and dome wouldn't even last 1 month, but in your case you got some good time of use with that hd. Depending on which you got. Hard drives usually lasts over 5 years that's why some manufacturer gives 5 year warranty.