[SOLVED] Mybook 6tb slow to respond

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I recently purchased a WD Mybook 6tb external drive as a backup drive and I've noticed that it's slow to respond when initially accessed. Almost all the time I click on the drive, it usually opens the window and freezes or the mouse shows the thinking animation, or shows the 'not responding' text on the top of the folder for 5-20 seconds, sometimes longer. Once it gets going, transfer rates are very good and as fast as all my other drives, there are no more instances of freezing when I go through the folders looking for files.
Sometimes I have a movie playing from the drive and I leave it on pause for an hour or so and when I pres play again, the file takes 10 seconds or slightly longer to get going again.

It's a powered external drive, I already have a 4tb Seagate, also powered and currently two 2tb 2.5'' drives (seagate and wd) attached to the USB ports on top of four internal drives (450w psu), none of the other drives exhibit the same amount of lag or delay. This lag or delay I have experienced with the drive happens 80-90% of the time it's accessed (when no other windows or files from the drive are open).

I'm not sure if this is an indication of an issue, as stated above, none of my other drives behave this way. I'm wondering if there is a power saving setting I'm not aware of. I've done tests on WD and seagate diagnostics and there is nothing wrong according to the tests.

I'm using win7 premium.

Last edited:
Solution
My 8TB Elements takes a long time to wake up from sleep. That appears to be normal.

You can check the SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl.

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Thanks. I was going to buy an Elements after this but now I'm not so sure. I will check crystaldisk but I don't think it will show anything different different from HDtune or the WD or Seatools that I've already tried.