Mysterious Lockups! help!

G

Hi everyone... I keep getting random lockups on my computer and I cannot figure out why. I have a FIC Motherboard with the VIA KT133 chipset with the onboard audio and an Athlon 900 T-Bird. I have a Savage4 video card with latest drivers from S3. 1 12x Creative DVD and a 52x Creative CDrom and a 10gb harddrive with 384mb of pc133 ram.. Please help me if you have any idea why. I thought it was heat so I took off the case and ran it and nothing changed. It locks up particularly in games.

G

Oh! I forgot to say I also have 1 Fan below the Power supply, one fan on my cpu and one fan in the lower front of the case. The one in the back is exhaust and the one in the front is blowing to the rear of the case. Just thought I'd throw that in!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can you list your other components as well as the irq assignments? do yo have a sounblaster live sound card? Are you sharing any IRQ's?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I have some audio on the motherboard, it says its just a VIA AC '97 Audio Controller. There are no errors in my system properties device manager. hope that helps

G

I dont believe I've installed any Via AGP drivers. Happen to know where I can obtain them?

G

Ok i'm getting the 4.28 FINAL. Sure hope this works.. I'll repost if it works after i test it.. Thanks

G

Installed those drivers, rebooted, ran a game and locked up again...damn ! no irq conflicts either everything is fine in my device manager..im so baffled

G

Well First thing you do is like a process of eleimination

First get your motherbaord manual ok?

Go thru each setting 1 by 1 and make sure they are set right..

Secondly..
Get the latest bios, thats if u are comfortable with flashing ur bios..

Then
see what you are running or doing when ur system locks up

What version of windows are u using?
Do the Windows Update, get the Critical Updates patches etc.

If still nothing

Uninstall everyhting hardware wise and reinstall using there drivers online, also
run the Via 4 in 1 dirvers off of your motherboard cd
etc..

U gotta diagnose etc.. step by step on what happend

e-mail me if u need more help
happy to help
al
k7power@usa.net

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

Are you using Windows 2000? That and an Athlon can cause it to freeze while doing 3D Apps. Their is a fix...I'll find the URL if you need it.

G

Well, I got the latest 4 in 1 drivers. The latest bios for my motherboard (Just flashed with newest version). all updates from microsoft windowsupdate. got the latest video drivers too, i tried the ones from diamond and the ones from s3....and im running win98. I even opened my case up and put a house fan next to it and aimed it right on it..doesn't seem to be heat. btw, irq for my video card is 11.. no irq conflicts in device manager though

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes they always dont show up as conflicts even though there is....is there anything else on irq 11 with the video card?
Give the drivers I gave you a link to a shot, also try installing the 4n1 drivers with the agp driver in standard mode as opposed to turbo

G

I already have the latest 4 in 1s in standard mode and i have those drivers you posted...My modem and my Savage 4 both use Interrupt Request 11

G

I already have the latest 4 in 1s in standard mode and i have those drivers you posted...My modem and my Savage 4 both use Interrupt Request 11, how can i change those?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ah ha finaly the info I was after from the get go. First remove your modem to see if this fixes the problem. Do this by booting into safe mode and deleting it, then physically remove it from the system ( after you power down of course). While you are there check to see if while in safe mode you have more than one video card installed here as well, if so remove all but the one you are using. If it shows up as having two instances of your video card remove them both and be prepared to re-install your video card upon reboot to normal mode. To change the irq of your modem you need to change the pci slot it is installed in. Be sure to completely remove it via safe mode first. Before booting after relocating your modem go into bios and enable "reset configuration data". Report back......BTW this is what is called as an irq conflict, as I said windows thinks they are sharing the irq just fine, but this is not the case. As soon as you put any load on the graphics card via a game it causes it to crash.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ncogneto on 04/21/01 02:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Got the irqs to change and now my modem works fine and stuff but it doesn't have an irq, no conflicts showing though. but its still locking up..argg! im stumped, this is unreal

G

Sorry I should have been more descriptive. I moved my modem from the 5th slot to the 2nd and reset my config, it wouldn't boot past the windows screen. I then moved it to my 3rd, reset config, booted up fine but it has no irq now

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well something is still amuck, not possible for it to have no irq. did you remove it while in safe mode? Also, after you remove it in safe mode try playing your game with the modem not installed in your system.

G

*sigh*.. uninstalled my modem and took it out again, rebooted without it and tried running a game. Locked up :( seems unfixable.. worst part is i just paid for 3 months of everquest and i can't even keep it stable enough to play it

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have another hardware that you did not yet list? Latest drivers for you integrated sound? You could try disabling that in windows......running out of options here. Have you tried loading setup defaults in bios?