Question NAS Running Horrendously Slowly, Only from One Machine Though

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
This thread has gone so long, I have lost some memory ... Have you booted a portable Linux and tested ? That is the only definite way to eliminated a Windows issue.
If rebooting the machine resolves the issue, rebooting into Linux doesn't prove much of anything, but yes.

I couldn't type in the IP into the File Manager, but I was able to navigate to the NAS through the navigation bar on the left of the File Manager, and it all worked fine. I was also able to mount it from the terminal. But again, a fresh Windows boot is also fine, although I'm not sure how long for, so it's difficult to say whether the Linux boot working means Linux is fine or just that fresh boots are always fine.

WinSCP access to the NAS works just fine. YouTube has become unusably slow, with videos hanging entirely midway through. I'm at a loss here.

Ralston18

Titan
And nothing seems amiss in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Process Explorer, Task Scheduler, Reliability History, and Event Viewer?

No log entry or event that occurs just before the issue returns and you are forced to reboot?

This:

"I couldn't type in the IP into the File Manager, but I was able to navigate to the NAS through the navigation bar on the left of the File Manager, and it all worked fine."

Go through the process you use and take some screenshots. Post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com). What IP Static IP addresses are assigned to the NAS(s)?

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Event viewer has a lot of these under Applications/Microsoft/Windows/SMBClient/Connectivity:
A network connection was disconnected.
Instance name: \Device\LanmanRedirector
Server name: [ServerName]
Server address: [IP Address]:445
Connection type: Wsk
InterfaceId: 17
Guidance:
This indicates that the client’s connection to the server was disconnected.
Frequent, unexpected disconnects when using an RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) adapter may indicate a network misconfiguration. RoCE requires Priority Flow Control (PFC) to be configured for every host, switch and router on the RoCE network. Failure to properly configure PFC will cause packet loss, frequent disconnects and poor performance.

And these, under Applications/Microsoft/Windows/SMBClient/Security:
The SMB client failed to connect to the share.

Error: {Access Denied}
A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights.

Path: \[IP Address]\[Share]

Both errors are present for both NAses.

Also this under Connectivity:
The server name cannot be resolved.

Error: The object was not found.

Server name: .sync

Guidance:
The client cannot resolve the server address in DNS or WINS. This issue often manifests immediately after joining a computer to the domain, when the client's DNS registration may not yet have propagated to all DNS servers. You should also expect this event at system startup on a DNS server (such as a domain controller) that points to itself for the primary DNS. You should validate the DNS client settings on this computer using IPCONFIG /ALL and NSLOOKUP.

Reliability Monitor shows a lot of "Stopped working", mostly just background update processes (Java, Windows), but also something called "Trafsvc service".

"I couldn't type in the IP into the File Manager, but I was able to navigate to the NAS through the navigation bar on the left of the File Manager, and it all worked fine."

Go through the process you use and take some screenshots.
Not sure the benefit of this? As I said a clean Windows boot works fine, so how I'm accessing it in Linux doesn't seem super helpful.

What IP Static IP addresses are assigned to the NAS(s)?
192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.171.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
A network connection was disconnected.
Instance name: \Device\LanmanRedirector
Server name: [ServerName]
Server address: [IP Address]:445
Connection type: Wsk
InterfaceId: 17
Guidance:
This indicates that the client’s connection to the server was disconnected.
Frequent, unexpected disconnects when using an RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) adapter may indicate a network misconfiguration. RoCE requires Priority Flow Control (PFC) to be configured for every host, switch and router on the RoCE network. Failure to properly configure PFC will cause packet loss, frequent disconnects and poor performance.

This is INTEL server grade NIC's feature, how would Windows 10 recognize your Killer E2200 as high performance server grade NIC and try to use the feature is beyond me.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...technology/ethernet/rdma-resource-center.html

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Apparently Killer E2200 does not have this feature yet Windows 10 tried to use it so it causes poor performance, as pointed out by the Event Viewer.

Or see if Killer E2200 has wrong RDMA property that you can disable

View: https://imgur.com/a/OHunGoY

Also reset Windows Networking see if works. if not, I have mentioned what to do before.

Last edited:

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
if not, I have mentioned what to do before.
You mean uninstalling the Killer driver? I still have no idea how to do that, the only Killer thing I can find listed on my system refuses to uninstall via the Control Panel.

Resetting the network requires resetting the computer, so that's again going to take some time to figure out if it works or not. Blegh.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Uninstalling the driver will not delete driver files. Reboot Windows and it will be re-detected and reinstall the driver. Reset the network also will not reset Windows.

52XdaE3.png

Buy a new NIC then if you don't want to do either step.

https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-2-5Gbps-Express-2-5GBase-T-PE25/dp/B08L8PK1SF

I have done my best. You make your choice.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Reset the network also will not reset Windows.
I meant to say reboot, not reset, with regards to Windows. It's just a pain because it's obviously going to work in the short term, as rebooting Windows works all by itself, without resetting the network.

Nonetheless, I did the network reset and it broke again almost immediately. I have a Blu-ray on my NAS with an unneeded audio track, that I'm trying to remove using MKVToolnix, and doing so seems to lock the entire NAS up. I'm wondering if it's something to do with MKVT, or with that specific file, or a mix of both...it's obviously having knock-on effects if so, because it's also affecting the other NAS, but there seems to be some sort of interaction there. Either way, it definitely seems like it's currently functioning as a "break everything immediately" button, which is useful for troubleshooting if nothing else.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
The fact is this Killer NIC is buggy since it's released years ago. You can find the complaints all over the internet.

Just buy a new NIC and be done with it, at least on the Windows side. Whether you still have other issues on the NAS is a different story.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
The fact is this Killer NIC is buggy since it's released years ago. You can find the complaints all over the internet.

Just buy a new NIC and be done with it,
I don't have a separate NIC currently, ethernet is connected directly to the motherboard, which is a Gigabyte G1 somethingorother, I think.