Question NAS storage comparison for Synology vs Overland

Feb 12, 2019
We are looking for NAS solution that will be used as secondary storage to hold large amount of data. We have received following proposals that are under our pre allocated budget.
  • SnapServer XSR120 / HDD - SnapServer XSR 8TB SATA ENT > QTY: 8 disks for RAID10 / 10g network card / Warranty 1 year
  • Synology with 512gb ssd cache (QTY:2) & Seagate 7200 rm Ironwolf > QTY 10 disks for RAID10 / 10g network card / Warranty 2 years
What are reviews for overland vs synology in terms of reliability & better integration with active directory?

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
I know I'm not directly answering your question but I've deployed several QNAPs and they're fantastic. Huge feature set, a huge array of models to do about anything you'd need, and I've tied them in to AD before without issue. Have you looked at QNAP?

For instance, if you're looking rackmount, check out the TVS-EC1280U-SAS-RP-16G-R2

If you want to up your game further with deduplication & compression: TES-1885U-D1531-16GR

Synology has the reputation as being really easy to use and having nice built-in features and OS. If that matters to you, then that's a pretty good direction to go. Alternatively, if you feel like the team's level of capabilities makes that sort of automation and simplicity unnecessary and want to bring the price down a bit, you could probably just do something on your own with something like FreeNAS.