NAS to Support 12TB

kanewolf

Titan
Synology, Thecus and Qnap are the "big 3". They all have two bay units. To get 12TB of storage in a dual bay, you will have to use RAID 0 or JBOD if you don't need a single file system. You will still need a backup philosophy for this data.

Although the price is quite a bit higher, you might consider a 4 bay unit with 2 bays as your primary copy and 2 bays as your backup. 12TB is a lot to loose .....

Jan 26, 2015

So I can buy a WD My Book or My Cloud EX 2 will be Fair Enough ,,Since mostly they come Diskless,,I can install my Fav.WD RED NAS 5-6 TB in each!!

Yes, of course, you can!
I'm glad to see you are so pleased with the WD Red drives! :)
Indeed, you can install your favorite WD Reds on the My Cloud NAS series and enjoy the access to your data from anywhere!

Glad I was useful!
Best of luck & happy computing! :bounce:
SuperSoph_WD

Jan 26, 2015

I'll check with my fellow Shoppe about the price of WD My Cloud EX4..series.. and Red NAS 5 TB availability!!

Jan 26, 2015

It's 2 Bay with Raid 0,1,5 Support..And It comes with HDMI Support too...

If it's a 2-bay NAS, it couldn't support RAID 5 because RAID 5 can be build with at least 3 HDDs.
So if your only option is a 2-bay NAS you can choose between RAID 1 (mirror) and RAID 0 (stripe).
But what do you plan to use the NAS for? Are you looking for speed and performance for editing or gaming or is it simply an additional location with your data which you can access from your computers and other devices?
The HDMI interface is there to help you easily stream movies from the NAS to your TV, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the array configuration itself.
I'm asking because a lot of customers jump into RAID-ing when there might be a simpler storage solution for your data.

SuperSoph_WD

Jan 26, 2015

Mine will be for Data Storage since I lost my Data stored in 2 of Backup+..Also to stream directly to TV and do some Editing works (Only a very few)..Yep,,Really Data Storage is main Purpose...

Hi again, Saravanan!

Well, this means that RAID 1 is what you would want to use. You won't be able to use the full capacity of the drives, due to the fact that one HDD keeps your data and the other one simply duplicates it. You can read more about this array configuration here: http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/50150/raid-1
I don't know about editing, but you shouldn't have any issues with the streaming. As for the NAS enclosure, any 2-bay enclosure will do the job. If you wish to edit videos/photos, I suggest you do that on a PC with a fast HDD or an SSD.

Hope I was helpful! Let me know if you have any questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Jan 26, 2015

My Sys Config goes with I5-4670 & H97 Mobo with 8GB RAM from Ripsjaw..And My Capacity is 2 X 2TB WD Green HDD's Internal!