Question Need a Fix for Hogwarts Legacy "Out of Video Memory" Error

Apr 5, 2023
Hi, I've recently been playing Hogwarts Legacy and it was working fine on Medium Settings at a comfortable 60 FPS with occasional stutters and lags.

However, since yesterday, the game has become completely unplayable. Either it gets stuck on the preparing shaders screen and crashes. Or it displays the Out of Video Memory Error as soon as the game loads.

I've tried downgrading my drivers, clean installing them, updating Windows, various fixes on Reddit etc etc.

If any of you have faced this issue and fixed it, let me know. Thanks

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600
Biostar B450M Mobo
HikSemi 16gb 2x8 RAM
Thermaltake 650w 80+ Bronze PSU
Evga GTX 1060 6gb
Game is running on HDD
Windows 10
Driver: 528.something

Colif

Win 11 Master
What resolution are you playing at?
Are you running with RT?

In terms of VRAM usage, Hogwarts Legacy set a new record, we measured 15 GB VRAM allocated at 4K with RT, 12 GB at 4K with RT disabled. While these numbers seem shockingly high, you have to put them in perspective. Due to the high performance requirements you'll definitely not be gaming with a sub-16 GB card at 4K.

8 GB+ at 1080p is certainly a lot, but here, too, owners of weaker GPUs will have to dial down their settings anyway. What's always an option is to use the various upscaling methods like DLSS, FSR and XeSS, which lower VRAM usage, too, by running at a lower internal rendering resolution.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/7.html

Did you get any updates to PC? As it seems odd it just started randomly.

I see people suggesting changing page file, that has nothing to do with vram unless its a laptop, which yours isn't.

People on way better PC have issues with game, it needs some patching.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023
What resolution are you playing at?
Are you running with RT?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/7.html

Did you get any updates to PC? As it seems odd it just started randomly.

I see people suggesting changing page file, that has nothing to do with vram unless its a laptop, which yours isn't.

People on way better PC have issues with game, it needs some patching.
No, had no updates or anything. Just encountering this error all of a sudden. And it's not like the game wasn't running from the start. The game was playing smooth before.