[SOLVED] Need a good update to the AMD Radeon R7 240.

Mar 16, 2020
I'm not a gamer, but do some AI photo work and manipulations. The R7 240 doesn't keep up with these newer (for me) more demanding photo programs. I need a x8 Pcie card on the older FOXCONN mobo. I like the XFX RX 570 4GB ccard but it is pcie x16.
Suggestions much appreciated.

Solution
MOBO Foxconn 2a92
Are you sure it only has an x8 slot? Some information I looked up online seemed to suggest it may have a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Have you checked inside the system to see whether the graphics card slot is full-length?

However, this does seem like a fairly old system, and the CPU and other hardware may also be significantly holding back performance in the software you are using. The 250 watt power supply is not going to run something like an RX 570. A WX 4100 is low-power professional card, and might run assuming that older motherboard plays well with it, but it will offer less than half the performance of an RX 570 in most applications, while costing more.

It might be worth looking into a full system upgrade...

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I'm not a gamer, but do some AI photo work and manipulations. The R7 240 doesn't keep up with these newer (for me) more demanding photo programs. I need a x8 Pcie card on the older FOXCONN mobo. I like the XFX RX 570 4GB ccard but it is pcie x16.
Suggestions much appreciated.
If you mainly do photo shop I’d see if you can get a amd FirePro wx4100 which is a x8 card

Reactions: Jack Coster
MOBO Foxconn 2a92
Are you sure it only has an x8 slot? Some information I looked up online seemed to suggest it may have a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Have you checked inside the system to see whether the graphics card slot is full-length?

However, this does seem like a fairly old system, and the CPU and other hardware may also be significantly holding back performance in the software you are using. The 250 watt power supply is not going to run something like an RX 570. A WX 4100 is low-power professional card, and might run assuming that older motherboard plays well with it, but it will offer less than half the performance of an RX 570 in most applications, while costing more.

It might be worth looking into a full system upgrade. If you are in the US, for around $500 or so you could build a much faster system, including a 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen processor, an RX 570, 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, and an SSD for fast storage. You may also need a new Windows license, if your existing one can't be transferred though. However, you would end up with a much more well-rounded and modern system that should run most software noticeably better than what you currently have.

Reactions: Jack Coster
Solution
Mar 16, 2020

It might be worth looking into a full system upgrade. If you are in the US, for around $500 or so you could build a much faster system, including a 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen processor, an RX 570, 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, and an SSD for fast storage. You may also need a new Windows license, if your existing one can't be transferred though. However, you would end up with a much more well-rounded and modern system that should run most software noticeably better than what you currently have.
Well it is a pcie x16 slot with the RX 7-240 installed.
Than ks for the info. Maybe its time to break the bank and go for a new machine with the good hardware. I'm now thinking about that. At the least, I've ordered a Corsair 500W psu for this machine. 86xz also suggested the wx 4100. I'm gonna check it out.
Thanks again.

Well it is a pcie x16 slot with the RX 7-240 installed.
Than ks for the info. Maybe its time to break the bank and go for a new machine with the good hardware. I'm now thinking about that. At the least, I've ordered a Corsair 500W psu for this machine. 86xz also suggested the wx 4100. I'm gonna check it out.
Thanks again.

I don't see any listing of the system the card is in. If you have $400 to spend on a video card, there is a good chance you can just replace the computer with a faster one with a better CPU to handle your workload. When asking about parts to get or improvements it's a good idea to list what you have now.

Mar 16, 2020
I don't see any listing of the system the card is in. If you have $400 to spend on a video card, there is a good chance you can just replace the computer with a faster one with a better CPU to handle your workload. When asking about parts to get or improvements it's a good idea to list what you have now.
Than ks Titan. I am beginning to think just that. I have a horror of getting another computer up and going with the data and programs on this old one! But that may be the route. Thanks again

Mar 16, 2020
System is windows 10 64bit

TRENDING THREADS