Question Need a reliable UPS that won't burst into flames.

May 2, 2020
Hello, everyone.

I'm looking for a UPS that would be able to support my Gaming PC. Running a GTX 1070 and a i7-8700k.
Experiencing frequent "brownouts" in my home, which last for maybe two seconds at the most, causing my PC to short out (no, it's not my PSU). I'm hoping this will solve the issue.

Problem is, all of the most recommended/revered models, typically from CyberPower and APC are extremely sketchy. Maybe they were pretty good once, but not so much, anymore. The reviews I've read are unsettling as heck, to say the least. If the unit isn't dead on arrival, it doubles as a Roman Candle.

Neither case is very titillating. Any recommendations that won't burn my house down?

Apr 26, 2020
Hello BloodcatAruel,

I would suggest the AmazonBasics Standby UPS 600VA 360W Surge Protector Battery Backup, 8 Outlets I use it myself with similar specs as yours and it works fine for me.

Hope this helps,
Naly A

Reactions: BloodcatAruel
May 2, 2020
Hello BloodcatAruel,

I would suggest the AmazonBasics Standby UPS 600VA 360W Surge Protector Battery Backup, 8 Outlets I use it myself with similar specs as yours and it works fine for me.

Hope this helps,
Naly A
Thank you, that might be the one I'll go with.
Has it been able to get your machine through a power outage/shortage? Does it kick in quick enough to keep it from losing power?

Apr 26, 2020
Hello BloodcatAruel,

Yes, I had a power cut around 8 months ago with the UPS plugged in, my PC was still running then I turned it off before my UPS ran out of charge. It is really quiet as well.

May 2, 2020
Salutations.

That sounds pretty good. A harrowing amount of units sport rather poor response times, which is entirely counter-productive. Thank you for the further elucidation.

My final question, if you'll bear with me?
I'm looking for a model to handle Brownouts, as I have reason to suspect unstable power in this rather old home is causing my system to trip. Would the model you've recommended be able to accommodate for such hazardous power fluctuations? I'm no expert in this field, but as far as I understand, Backup UPSes only snap on when the power cuts completely.
Basically, I'm looking for a UPS to protect my system from maaaayyyyybbbeeeee two seconds of shoddy power flow, at the most, not to deal with full-on outages.
What I need is a UPS to regulate inconsistent electricity, keeping my tech from failing from, what essentially boils down to crappy, old wiring.
Would this model be adequate for that, or do I need a "Line-in" UPS, instead of a "backup" one?

I apologize for my ignorance and continued pestering on this topic. I'm just trying to dot my i's and cross my T's before throwing down money for one.

Apr 26, 2020
Hello BloodcatAurel,

Don't worry about asking me, ask away without hesitation. To answer your question, the Amazon Basics one I shared with you is perfect for your kind of area.